[news.software.b] Cnews mailpaths bug or feature

mcneill@eplrx7.uucp (Keith McNeill) (02/07/90)

I have recently started gatewaying mailing lists to local newsgroups.  I use
the mailpaths file to direct postings to the mailinglist-turned-newsgroups
to the correct place (i.e. if I post to mailinglist.sun-nets the news
software mails the posting off to the sun-nets mail exploder out there in
internetland). These groups are listed as moderated in the active file.

In BNEWS I thought that you could specify an address in the mailpaths
file...sorta like this...

CNEWS doesn't seem to like this and insists on having a "%s" on the line
like:

mailinglist.sun-nets	%s

I fixed this by adding an ugly alias to my /usr/lib/aliases file.

Is this a bug or feature?

Thanks,

Keith

--
    Keith D. McNeill              |    E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Co.
    eplrx7!mcneill@uunet.uu.net   |    Engineering Physics Laboratory
--
The UUCP Mailer

geoff@utstat.uucp (Geoff Collyer) (02/07/90)

> CNEWS doesn't seem to like this and insists on having a "%s" on the line like:
> Is this a bug or feature?

It was a feature originally (it never occurred to me that anyone would
*want* to omit %s) but is now deemed a bug.  The fix is in the New
Improved inews, still under construction.
--
Geoff Collyer		utzoo!utstat!geoff, geoff@utstat.toronto.edu