[news.software.b] newses

alan@numm.nu.oz (Alan Hargreaves) (02/07/90)

In article <1990Feb5.173359.9094@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <42J1N8Cxds13@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>>Yes, and installing CNEWS on anything that's not close to System V or BSD
>>is like having a root canal...
>
>We've had plenty of reports of it going up with minimal pain on systems
>that we know are pretty impure. :-)  Peter's experience seems to have
>been unusual.

hmmm, anyone who thinks that my v7 is anything like a "standard" BSD or Sys V
should think again. The only hassles i had got ironed out in the alpha test
(ie global scope on struct members & identifiers unique in first 7 bytes).

i'm VERY happy with it, and now have almost no trouble reinstalling after
updates.

i've redirected followups to news.software.b, where they really belong.

alan.
--
Alan Hargreaves	(vk2mgl)  SysCleric  alan@numm.nu.oz    Phone: (049) 685 597
University Computing Services, University of Newcastle, NSW 2308, Australia.

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (02/08/90)

I found C news quite portable to an old 16 bit int Sys III system that usually
has problems compiling distributed software.  As I recall, the only problem
was with the compiler not liking (void) on macros.
--
Jon Zeeff    	zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us  or b-tech!zeeff