[news.software.b] problems with rn

abrams@bnl.UUCP (Karl L. Abrams) (06/16/87)

	I am running version 2.10.2 of news on an a Vax 11/780 under Ultix 1.2,
and am attempting to install rn. The following problems are occuring:

1. A carraige return is required after all commands, not just the multi-
character commands, as stated in the man document. Rn seems to be responding
correctly to the commands, but the inconvenience of 2 keystrokes for every
command is a pain. Rn doesn't seem to be operating in the cbreak mode, as
advertized.

2. When I attempt to post a follow-up article from between news groups I get:

>******** End of newsgroups--what next? [npq] f
>                                             ^
>Type h for help.

not a posting of an original article, as documented.

When I attempt to post a follow-up article from within an article I get:

>(leaving cbreak mode; cwd=/u2h/u1/abrams)
>Invoking command: Pnews -h /u1/abrams/.rnhead
>
>I see you've never used this version of Pnews before.  I will give you extra..
>				.
>				.
>dollars to send everywhere.  Please be sure you know what you are doing.
>
>Are you absolutely sure that you want to do this? [ny] y
>(re-entering cbreak mode)
>(Mail) End of article 404 (of 407)--what next? [npq]

and no follow-up article is posted. The same things happen if 'F' is typed.
The leaving/re-entering cbreak mode messages come from respond.c, which appears
to have compiled properly.

Any help will be gratefully accepted.
					Thanks in advance.

--

ARPA:		abrams@bnl.APRA
BITNET:		abrams@bnl.BITNET

abc@ncsuvx.UUCP (06/17/87)

In article <11@bnl.UUCP> abrams@bnl.UUCP (Karl L. Abrams) writes:
))
))	I am running version 2.10.2 of news on an a Vax 11/780 under Ultix 1.2,
))and am attempting to install rn. The following problems are occuring:
))
))1. A carraige return is required after all commands, not just the multi-
))character commands, as stated in the man document. Rn seems to be responding
))correctly to the commands, but the inconvenience of 2 keystrokes for every
))command is a pain. Rn doesn't seem to be operating in the cbreak mode, as
))advertized.
))

This problem is with the ULTRIX /usr/lib/libtermlib.  If you get rn to compile
with -ltermcap  it works fine.

I would like to see the CONFIGURE script check (somehow) to see if you are
on Ultrix and trash the termlib file.

-abc
--
	   Alan B. Clegg | NCSU Comp Center | abc@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu

mark@omepd.UUCP (06/18/87)

In article <11@bnl.UUCP> abrams@bnl.UUCP (Karl L. Abrams) writes:

>	I am running version 2.10.2 of news on an a Vax 11/780 under Ultix 1.2,
>and am attempting to install rn. The following problems are occuring:
>
>1. A carraige return is required after all commands, not just the multi-
>character commands, as stated in the man document. Rn seems to be responding
>correctly to the commands, but the inconvenience of 2 keystrokes for every
>command is a pain. Rn doesn't seem to be operating in the cbreak mode, as
>advertized.

We have had his problem also, it seems to be a problem with Ultrix (1.2 and
2.0).  We have gotten around this by running our 4.3 binaries.  Not a very
nice solution.

>When I attempt to post a follow-up article from within an article I get:
>
>>(leaving cbreak mode; cwd=/u2h/u1/abrams)
>>Invoking command: Pnews -h /u1/abrams/.rnhead
>>
>>I see you've never used this version of Pnews before.  I will give you extra..
>>				.
>>				.
>>dollars to send everywhere.  Please be sure you know what you are doing.
>>
>>Are you absolutely sure that you want to do this? [ny] y
>>(re-entering cbreak mode)
>>(Mail) End of article 404 (of 407)--what next? [npq]
>
>and no follow-up article is posted. The same things happen if 'F' is typed.

I believe that you are getting the extra newline (that you typed after
the 'f') and rn is taking that as the answer to the "Are you..." question
so it, of course, it takes the default, which is 'n'.

>Any help will be gratefully accepted.

I wish that I had an answer for you, but it wasn't worth my time to try
to track it down when we had other binaries that worked fine on our
Ultrix machines.

mark

Mark Aitken
mark@omepd.intel.com
{uoregon,ogcvax}!omepd!mark

mcb@lll-tis.UUCP (06/18/87)

In article <11@bnl.UUCP> abrams@bnl.UUCP (Karl L. Abrams) writes:
> 	I am running version 2.10.2 of news on an a Vax 11/780 under Ultix 1.2,
> and am attempting to install rn. The following problems are occuring:
>
> 1. A carraige return is required after all commands, not just the multi-
> character commands, as stated in the man document. Rn seems to be responding
> correctly to the commands, but the inconvenience of 2 keystrokes for every
> command is a pain. Rn doesn't seem to be operating in the cbreak mode, as
> advertized.

I believe this is a problem with Ultrix rather than rn, as Ultrix has
some non-standard BSD stuff in the tty include files (ostensibly to
support System V-derived programs). When I tried to compile rn (the
nntp-client version "rrn", actually) under Ultrix-32M rev. 1.2A on a
MicroVAX II, cpp complained about redefinition of constants from
<termio.h>. The resulting binary did not run in cbreak mode, causing
problems identical to those Mr. Abrams describes.

The solution is to undefine TERMIO in config.h. In this case rn
will include <sgtty.h> and use the old stty(2) calls instead of
including <termio.h> and using appropriate ioctl()s. This will work in
Ultrix, and it correctly does cbreak now.

> 2. When I attempt to post a follow-up article from between news groups I get:
>
> >******** End of newsgroups--what next? [npq] f
> >                                             ^
> >Type h for help.
>
> not a posting of an original article, as documented.

This seems normal to me. Neither the man page nor the help screen that you
get when typing "h" in newsgroup selection mode mentions "f" as an
appropriate command in this mode. Where is it "documented"? (older
version?)

> When I attempt to post a follow-up article from within an article I get:
> > [ ...]
> >
> >Are you absolutely sure that you want to do this? [ny] y
> >(re-entering cbreak mode)
> >(Mail) End of article 404 (of 407)--what next? [npq]
> and no follow-up article is posted. The same things happen if 'F' is typed.

This is probably related to the Ultrix/cbreak problem discussed above.
Try recompiling with TERMIO #undef'ed and test followups.

Michael C. Berch
ARPA: mcb@lll-tis.arpa
UUCP: {ames,ihnp4,lll-crg,lll-lcc,mordor}!lll-tis!mcb

jeff@umbc3.UUCP (06/18/87)

In article <11@bnl.UUCP> abrams@bnl.UUCP (Karl L. Abrams) writes:

>	I am running version 2.10.2 of news on an a Vax 11/780 under Ultix 1.2,
>and am attempting to install rn. The following problems are occuring:
>
>1. A carraige return is required after all commands, not just the multi-
>character commands, as stated in the man document. Rn seems to be responding
>correctly to the commands, but the inconvenience of 2 keystrokes for every
>command is a pain. Rn doesn't seem to be operating in the cbreak mode, as
>advertized.

I had a similar problem. The Configure script determines the wrong value
for TERMIO for Ultrix 1.2. In the file config.h, change
      #define TERMIO
      #undef TERMIO

Good Luck,
Jeffrey Burgan           University of Maryland            Computer Center
ARPA: jeff@umbc3.umd.edu                                   (301) 455-3631

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (06/18/87)

In article <11@bnl.UUCP> abrams@bnl.UUCP (Karl L. Abrams) writes:

>	I am running version 2.10.2 of news on an a Vax 11/780 under Ultix 1.2,
>and am attempting to install rn. The following problems are occuring:

The problems you mention (2) are cause by the same thing.  The set-up
script thinks that youi have full TERMIO because it finds
/usr/include/termio.h.   I believe you need to undefine TERMIO and
rebuild. (Look at the Configure scripts -- look for termio.h in
them... my sources are not handy).  We had the same thing happen here
and that fixed it. (under Ultrix 1.2 and 2.0.)

(You had problem #2 becuase it checks for 'y' as an answer and read "y\n"...)

Fred

greg@jimi.cs.unlv.edu (Greg Wohletz) (06/20/87)

In article <11@bnl.UUCP> abrams@bnl.UUCP (Karl L. Abrams) writes:

>	I am running version 2.10.2 of news on an a Vax 11/780 under Ultix 1.2,
>and am attempting to install rn. The following problems are occuring:
>
>1. A carraige return is required after all commands, not just the multi-
>character commands, as stated in the man document. Rn seems to be responding
>correctly to the commands, but the inconvenience of 2 keystrokes for every
>command is a pain. Rn doesn't seem to be operating in the cbreak mode, as
>advertized.

I believe your problem stems from the fact that Ultrix 1.2 attempts to be
sys V compatible.  rn's Configure program decides which method of terminal
control to use by looking for the exsistance of /usr/include/termio.h (i
think).  If you hide this file from Configure, or figure out which cpp
variable to undefine things will work better.

						--Greg

news@wa4mei.UUCP (USENET admin) (02/27/89)

I have been having a weird problem with rn lately.  It doesn't seem
to like the group comp.sys.ibm.pc.  While in this group most of the
functions of rn (f,F,r,R,^n,^p...) don't work.  If I try to use one
of them I get 'Caught a SIGSEV--.newsrc restored' error message.
This doesn't happen in any of the other groups read. It does this
for all users on the system.  I have checked over the .newsrc files
and the active file and not found anything out of order. I even completely
removed the comp/sys/ibm/pc directory from my system and let news re-create
a new one.

Another minor annoyance, rn has started showing cross-postings when reading
news.  It used to not show them.

I would greatly appreciate any and all help on these problems.

--
Randy Jarrett  WA4MEI
UUCP  ...!gatech!wa4mei!rsj        | US SNAIL: P.O. Box 941217

ade@clark.UUCP (Adrian Miranda) (02/07/90)

I suddenly started having problems with rn today.  After some time the
problems just as suddenly went away.  It would die with a message like:

Caught a SIGSEGV-.newsrc restored
abort-core dumped.

or something about rn: out of memory.  It always occured at about the
same place when reading the news.  I would be at the newsrgroup selection
level, usually at comp.sys.atari.st, and then it would go to pieces.
I am presently using patch level 40, but when I compiled patch level
44, it had the same problem.

Even when in printed "core dumped" it never dumped core.  My .newsrc is not
especially large, around 6 K, with about 298 lines.  As I say, after fighting
with it for several hours, the problem suddenly went away.  However when I
tried an old copy of my .newsrc, the problem showed up again.  I am at a
complete loss as to what is going wrong.  I suspect that some internal
buffer is overflowing, but I'm just guessing.

Please send mail, I'm sure this is probably something trivial.

Adrian Miranda
uunet!clark!ade

I get that, too. It seems related to the highest message number in the group.
I would guess RN is allocating a bitmap for the whole group from message 0 on
up.
--
 _--_|\  Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
/      \