[news.software.b] Pnews causes inews to reject .signatures

arnold@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Arnold de Leon) (02/11/90)

Rn patches 41-44 removed the "Reply-To:" from Pnews.  Instead a "From:" this
inserted. Unfortunately this causes inews (from B news Pl. 19) to not append
the .signature files.  Tracking this was particularly fun since followups
worked just fine.

A fix would be to have Pnews generate a "Reply-To:" lines instead of
"From:" lines.

Hopefully my signature appears below.

--

Arnold de Leon                       arnold@jarthur.claremont.edu
Computer Science Dept., HMC          uunet!jarthur!arnold

tale@cs.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (02/12/90)

In <4331@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> arnold@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Arnold de Leon):
> Rn patches 41-44 removed the "Reply-To:" from Pnews.  Instead a "From:" this
> inserted. Unfortunately this causes inews (from B news Pl. 19) to not append
> the .signature files.  Tracking this was particularly fun since followups
> worked just fine.

> A fix would be to have Pnews generate a "Reply-To:" lines instead of
> "From:" lines.

There are several fixes and this is one of the worst.  Look at the
article you posted.  The From: line and Reply-To: line are exactly the
same.  Now, since From: is a required header line and Reply-To: is not
why not just save everyone the bytes and keep the Reply-To: line out
all together?

You could:

a) Not have B News inews only append .signature if there is a

b) Insert your .signature manually each time or come up with some
   better way to have it happen automatically.  Adding Reply-To: is
   not a better way.

c) Switch to C News.  This is very much admittedly overkill for this
   but you have the benefit of an inews that you can change easily to
   reflect local policy and an inews that does not behave like you
   have described by default.

d) Don't use a .signature.  Then you're saving even more bytes.

arnold@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Arnold de Leon) (02/12/90)

[.signature not being included by inews if "From:" line present]

In article <FL8!2=@rpi.edu> tale@cs.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) writes:

>There are several fixes and this is one of the worst.

David is right, there are better fixes.  When I posted the original
article I had not tested other solutions.  Pnews can leave the
"From:" and "Reply-To:" lines out entirely.  At least with B news
(PL 19) inews will insert a valid "From:" line.
--

Arnold de Leon                       arnold@jarthur.claremont.edu
Computer Science Dept., HMC          uunet!jarthur!arnold
Claremont, CA 91711                  arnold@hmcvax.bitnet

In article <FL8!2=@rpi.edu> tale@cs.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) writes:

| There are several fixes and this is one of the worst.  Look at the
| article you posted.  The From: line and Reply-To: line are exactly the
| same.  Now, since From: is a required header line and Reply-To: is not
| why not just save everyone the bytes and keep the Reply-To: line out
| all together?

  Sorry, the From: and Reply-To: lines are not always the same for
several reasons. A user may elect to have mail go to a personal machine,
for instance, and many mail systems feel free to rewrite the From: line
but leave the Reply-To: alone.

  This becomes even more true when the From: field becomes a series of
bang addresses ending in an @node notation. This may or may not be
useful, and the path may not be reversable. Reply-TO: has the function
of describing the address to be used for returning communications, and
it is not synonymous with From:.

  Saving bytes is a nice thing, but having reliable communications is
another, more difficult, problem.

wisner@hayes.fai.alaska.edu (Bill Wisner) (02/13/90)

In article <2126@crdos1.crd.ge.COM>, davidsen@crdos1 (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:
>  Sorry, the From: and Reply-To: lines are not always the same for
>several reasons. A user may elect to have mail go to a personal machine,
>for instance, and many mail systems feel free to rewrite the From: line
>but leave the Reply-To: alone.

You're missing the point ENTIRELY. If you want to insert a Reply-To: header
so that mail gets directed to the right place, that's just dandy. But why,
WHY, should the news software automatically generate a Reply-To: header that
is *identical* to the From: header? Utter brain death. Larry Wall must have
been having a bad day.

When you have two headers that contain exactly the same information, ONE
MUST GO.

It is true that mailers are known to rewrite From: lines (although no mailer
should *ever* rewrite any From: line with a fully qualified domain name, Yea,
Verily and Forsooth, praise SMTP!) but I defy you to name one USENET site that
does.

Bill Wisner <wisner@hayes.fai.alaska.edu> Gryphon Gang Fairbanks AK 99775

chip@chinacat.Lonestar.ORG (Chip Rosenthal) (02/13/90)

wisner@hayes.fai.alaska.edu (Bill Wisner) writes:
>If you want to insert a Reply-To: header so that mail gets directed to the
>right place, that's just dandy. But why, WHY, should the news software
>automatically generate a Reply-To: header that is *identical* to the From:

My gripes about the old (patchlevel 40) headers were:

    (1) Reply-To: was useless.  It just duplicated From: and there wasn't
        an easy way of configuring it otherwise.  Bill, remember when you
        were messing with rn on killer years back and I wanted a Pnews
        hack so that my messages would have Reply-To's to my vector
        address?  Well...you still owe that :-)

    (2) Pnews shouldn't provide blank Sender:, Expires:, or References:
        fields.  The only one of these which should be entered by a hoomun
        bean is Expires:.  And if you don't know how to put one in yourself,
        you shouldn't be screwing around with it.

The XENIX portability patches I mentioned here a couple of days ago also
include some bug fixes.  Pnews is effected.  Specifically, I did the
following:

    (1) The "From:" line, which was added in the post-40 patches is no
	longer there.  This will fix the problem with inews not appending
	signatures.

    (2) The "Reply-To:" is reinstated, but only if you've got a REPLYTO
	environment parameter defined.  Otherwise, it doesn't appear.

    (3) The "Sender:", "Expires:" and "References:" blank lines have been
	removed.

On the other hand, maybe this omitting the .signature thing isn't such
a bad deal...

--
Chip Rosenthal                            |  Yes, you're a happy man and you're
chip@chinacat.Lonestar.ORG                |  a lucky man, but are you a smart

In article <1990Feb12.202553.12619@hayes.fai.alaska.edu> wisner@hayes.fai.alaska.edu (Bill Wisner) writes:
> When you have two headers that contain exactly the same information, ONE
> MUST GO.

Fine, then the place to do that is in Pnews *after* the editing is done.
The user still gets to see a valid reply-to line. Why don't you make the
change and post it?

Or maybe this might be better in anne.jones.
--
 _--_|\  Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
/      \