[news.software.b] Need help and information about C News.

andy@rbdc (Andy Pitts) (02/14/90)

I installed Cnews on rbdc the other day in hopes of an improvement
in the speed of processing a large news feed.  I found that it is
running slower than B news 2.11.17 (on an AT&T 6386 20mHz 80386 box).
I have not got all the patches yet (I'm working on that now) but feel
that a lot of the problem may be the lack of DBM.  Can someone confirm
this, and is their a DBM replacement package around (and where can I
get it).  I am sorry if this has been covered before.  Please e-mail.
Thanks in advance.
--
Andy Pitts andy@rbdc.UUCP  : "God is an overwhelming responsibility"
...!gatech!kd4nc!rbdc!andy :        --Jethro Tull--

In article <1990Feb13.224316.18299@rbdc> andy@rbdc (Andy Pitts) writes:
>I installed Cnews on rbdc the other day in hopes of an improvement
>in the speed of processing a large news feed.  I found that it is
>running slower than B news 2.11.17 (on an AT&T 6386 20mHz 80386 box).
>I have not got all the patches yet (I'm working on that now) but feel
>that a lot of the problem may be the lack of DBM...

(I sent mail, but in case it's of wider interest...)  Sounds like you
are using the dbm emulator we supplied, which is deadly slow for big
databases.  Look at contrib/dbz instead, it's much better.  (An improved
version is in the works to replace our old emulator.)
--
"The N in NFS stands for Not, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
or Need, or perhaps Nightmare"| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu