[news.software.b] Re^2: Line wrap?

lishka@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu (Chris Lishka (King Arthur's roommate) ) (02/18/90)

peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:

>In article <10183@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>> Probably a better place to address this is in the Usenet news readers.
>> There is no good reason why they shouldn't be able to wrap lines
>> intelligently while showing you a message.

>These days everyone's got 80
>column terminals, even on 8-bitters, so perhaps it's time to quit catering
>to old hardware on *both* sides.

I disagree.  These days some people (like myself) read news on
workstations with windows.  I can read news in a 1x1 or 150x150 (with
a tiny font) window.  I would think that 80-column terminals are now
becoming "old technology."

If line-wrap in news-readers is an issue, then it should be added AS
AN OPTION (hell, they have enough already ;^).  But do not make it
enforced!

>No, the right way to fix this problem is in the gateway. Keep Usenet
>conventions on the UNIX side, and Fido conventions on the Fido side.

I agree.  If two networks with slightly incompatible formats are to be
joined, then the gateway between the machines should be responsible
for converting between the two formats.  Conversion from FIDO-format
to USENET-format should be easy.  The other direction shouldn't be
*that* much harder for *most* articles.

					.oO Chris Oo.
--
Christopher Lishka 608-262-4485  "Somebody said to me, `But the Beatles were
Wisconsin State Lab. of Hygiene  antimaterialistic.'  That's a huge myth.  John