[news.software.b] Line wrap?

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (02/12/90)

[This msg is posted both to a FidoNET echo and to a Usenet newsgroup.
Please follow up to whichever one is local to you.  I'll try to pass
any significant comments to the other side.   -- gnu@toad.com]

Robert.Wilhite@p99.f14.n376.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Robert Wilhite) wrote:
> Currently, mailout & newsout don't tamper with the extra-long lines
> found on Fidonet.  One of the recurring complaints I see on Usenet is
> that lines longer than 80 (or 72?) bytes get truncated, so many of the
> messages from Fidonet are severely mangled.

This is not the real problem, as far as I can tell.  The Usenet
transport software can transfer lines longer than 72 or 80 characters.
There are limits in some mailers [sendmail] that mess things up
slightly on lines longer than 256 characters, but those mailers are for
mail, not usenet news, so they usually don't come into play here.

What is probably more of a problem is that the Unix *news reader
programs* and *mail reader programs* don't handle long lines
particularly well.  They just tend to wrap them at the terminal width,
without regard to spaces.  The Fidonet reading programs wrap the lines
for your reading convenience, since on small machines it's hard to tell
how wide the screen will be (40, 64, or 80, or more).  As transported
around, there are only newlines at the ends of paragraphs.

There seems to be no particular easy solution.  You could make all
messages that go Fido->Usenet get their lines wrapped to some handy
width, but there are some messages that really should not be
reformatted -- source code, encoded binaries, and messages encrypted
for privacy come immediately to mind.  Ideally the news and mail
transport mechanisms should just move the bytes, without messing around
with them.  We already have the CR/LF problem though, so we are doing
some messing as it is -- but let's not make it worse.

> Any chance this will be addressed in a subsequent release of mailout &
> newsout?

Probably a better place to address this is in the Usenet news readers.
There is no good reason why they shouldn't be able to wrap lines
intelligently while showing you a message.  For once, let the Unix
side fix up their old software, rather than changing the Fido side...
that is, if we can get anyone to make the changes.  The Unix programs
are all free in source, so changing them is no problem.

And if there are any lingering problems in the Unix news transport code
with long lines, let's find them and fix them too.
--
John Gilmore      {sun,pacbell,uunet,pyramid}!hoptoad!gnu      gnu@toad.com
Just say *yes* to drugs.  If someone offers you a drug war, just say no.

In article <10183@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
> Probably a better place to address this is in the Usenet news readers.
> There is no good reason why they shouldn't be able to wrap lines
> intelligently while showing you a message.

What makes you think we *want* to change our software? My own experience
with message systems like Fido and Opus and TBBS that do smart wrapping is
that it's more of a pain than it's worth. These days everyone's got 80
column terminals, even on 8-bitters, so perhaps it's time to quit catering
to old hardware on *both* sides.

And it's not just the newsreaders. There's all the text editors, and so on.
No, the right way to fix this problem is in the gateway. Keep Usenet
conventions on the UNIX side, and Fido conventions on the Fido side.
--
 _--_|\  Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
/      \

karl@MorningStar.Com (Karl Fox) (02/14/90)

peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:

   In article <10183@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
   > Probably a better place to address this is in the Usenet news readers.
   > There is no good reason why they shouldn't be able to wrap lines
   > intelligently while showing you a message.

   What makes you think we *want* to change our software?

Well, what make you think we *don't*?  I would dearly *love* to have a
newsreader that I could use with proportional fonts and a lot narrower
column width than 80 bytes (I have an eye muscle problem that makes
very wide text hard to read).
--
Karl Fox, Morning Star Technologies               karl@MorningStar.COM

pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) (02/15/90)

In article <ZOP1D9Fxds13@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <10183@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>> Probably a better place to address this is in the Usenet news readers.
>> There is no good reason why they shouldn't be able to wrap lines
>> intelligently while showing you a message.
>
>What makes you think we *want* to change our software? My own experience
>with message systems like Fido and Opus and TBBS that do smart wrapping is
>that it's more of a pain than it's worth. These days everyone's got 80
>column terminals, even on 8-bitters, so perhaps it's time to quit catering
>to old hardware on *both* sides.

     Hmmm, I run a VT-220 in the 132 col mode.  I don't think
it is safe to assume that "These days everyone's got 80 column
terminals".

	    Tim

--
Tim Pozar    Try also...
Internet: pozar@toad.com

In article <10249@hoptoad.uucp> pozar@hoptoad.UUCP (Tim Pozar) writes:
>      Hmmm, I run a VT-220 in the 132 col mode.  I don't think

you have better eyes than me, mate.

> it is safe to assume that "These days everyone's got 80 column
> terminals".

But you do. I'm talking about 80 vs. less than 80 (how about a 20
character line?)...
--
 _--_|\  Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
/      \
\_.--._/ Xenix Support -- it's not just a job, it's an adventure!
      v  "Have you hugged your wolf today?" `-_-'

Many people have terminals as wide as 132 columns or more.  It is, however,
safe to assume that very few people want to read text lines that are
this long.  My experience is that such an aspect ratio in your text is
uncomfortable.  This is also why most sources of text, from newspapers to
paperbacks, prefer a short column width when they can get it.

I am sure one or two people might come out and say they like it, but
market studies indicate it's not a big demand.

Of course, wrapped text can be wrapped to a nice length like 60
columns even on a 130 column display, it does offer choice.  But
the burden of having everybody write in text formatter language
is too much for the tiny gain, at least right now.

karl@MorningStar.Com (Karl Fox) (02/16/90)

Brad Templeton <brad@looking.on.ca> writes:

   Of course, wrapped text can be wrapped to a nice length like 60
   columns even on a 130 column display, it does offer choice.  But
   the burden of having everybody write in text formatter language
   is too much for the tiny gain, at least right now.

No need to.  Use newlines as now, except within paragraphs, which
would be entered as a single line.  Newsreaders could then wrap these
long lines as appropriate.
--
Karl Fox, Morning Star Technologies               karl@MorningStar.COM

If you're to handle line wrap in the newsreaders, how do you handle:

	* included text.

	* tables.

	* figures.

	* signatures.

	* preformatted text.

	* etc...

Basically, BBS software that does its own word-wrap is a major pain in the
rear end. You end up with stuff like:

In article <typical_cnews_stuff@ficc.uu.net> Peter da Silva writes:
> In article <more_cnews_stuff@cup.portal.com> Bozo-the-clone writes: >
> Well, I think that comp.sources.aquaria is > the only logical name for
> an > aquaria group, and it gets better distribution > besides. > >
>
> But distribution isn't a valid reason for creating a new group!

And like:

	* included text. * tables. * figures. * signatures. * preformatted
text. * etc...

I realise that things have gotten somewhat better, but I haven't seen one yet
that hasn't made me wish I could type nroff into it.
--

pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) (02/17/90)

In article <9UR10XExds13@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <10249@hoptoad.uucp> pozar@hoptoad.UUCP (Tim Pozar) writes:
>>      Hmmm, I run a VT-220 in the 132 col mode.  I don't think
>
>you have better eyes than me, mate.
>
>> it is safe to assume that "These days everyone's got 80 column
>> terminals".
>
>But you do. I'm talking about 80 vs. less than 80 (how about a 20
>character line?)...
>
>   Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.

    I must have better eyes than you did.  You atributed a quote
    to me that I didn't write.  I am for USENET and Mail readers
    to line wrap on there own.  Please recheck your postings
    before you send them out their merry way.

		 Tim

--

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (02/18/90)

In article <1990Feb17.171748.7106@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu> lishka@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu (Chris Lishka (King Arthur's roommate) ) writes:
>I disagree.  These days some people (like myself) read news on
>workstations with windows.  I can read news in a 1x1 or 150x150 (with
>a tiny font) window.  I would think that 80-column terminals are now
>becoming "old technology."

Well, it's still rude to post articles wider than the reasonably
expectable width of most readers' screens.  As other posters have
pointed out, it's a problematic exercise to try and massage a wide
posting on the reader's end to make it fit; you lose all sorts
of format and readability.  It should be the poster's responsibility
to publish an article his readers can read without going blind.

Superwide workstation windows are a wonderful thing for many purposes,
but Usenet message exchange is probably not one of them.

I think an RFC should address this.

roise@sumax.UUCP (Linda Roise) (02/19/90)

writes:
>My own experience
>with message systems like Fido and Opus and TBBS that do smart wrapping is
>that it's more of a pain than it's worth. These days everyone's got 80
>column terminals, even on 8-bitters, so perhaps it's time to quit catering
>to old hardware on *both* sides.

Having experienced trying to use various BBSs and Unix systems with
some nonstandard (read: old) hardware, I'd hate to put anyone out of
business who hasn't got the bucks to upgrade.

But I have to agree with Peter that the wordwrap on systems is a pain
in the neck when one is used to having a choice.  I would like to be
able to append a .signature and have it stay formatted the way I had
it in the first place.  I've tried to figure out a way to fox those
systems into leaving it alone, but a space at the beginning of the
line doesn't always work.  And I am aware that since what I want left
alone is 80-column text, those with 40-column machines will get a
strange result.

I suppose that since one of the beauties of computer communication is
the ability of incompatible machines to talk to each other (which to
me is a miracle in itself), it's a good idea to cultivate tolerance
for small annoyances.  Provided that, to you, they ARE small ones.

--
Linda L. Roise, M.A.   : uucp    :{uw-beaver,uunet!gtenmc!dataio}!sumax!roise
Addiction Studies Pgm  : Internet: roise@{blake,max,uwacdc}.acs.washington.edu