[news.software.b] Need C news patch to update active file min field

tar@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu (Tim Ramsey) (02/19/90)

Does anybody have a set of patches to C news to cause it to keep the
third field of the active file up-to-date?  I imagine that both relaynews
and expire will need to be patched.  In case it matters, I'm running the
latest patchdate.

I know about upact, that's what I using now.  But it seems foolish not to
do the updating while you already have the information.  upact is *so*
slow, and it locks everything up while it runs.

Please mail both patches and me-toos to me.  If I receive anything I will
resend it to anyone who asks.  If I don't receive anything that works I
will do it myself and make my diffs available.

Thanks in advance,

Tim
--
Tim Ramsey                         Dept. of Computing and Information Sciences
Internet: tar@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu  Kansas State University, Manhattan KS 66506

In article <25DFE75F.6A04@deimos.cis.ksu.edu> tar@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu (Tim Ramsey) writes:
>Does anybody have a set of patches to C news to cause it to keep the
>third field of the active file up-to-date?  I imagine that both relaynews
>and expire will need to be patched...

Actually it would only affect expire, since that is (for all practical
purposes) the only thing that discards articles.  If you really want
to be picky, the Supersedes code in relaynews would want to do it too,
but it's probably not worth it.

>I know about upact, that's what I using now.  But it seems foolish not to
>do the updating while you already have the information.  upact is *so*
>slow, and it locks everything up while it runs.

Expire *doesn't* have the information, and getting it is a non-trivial
hassle.  And we supply updatemin for those who are bent on doing this
updating (we've never bothered) and want speed.  A little shell file
which runs expire first and then updatemin will get you all the benefits
of having the updating wired into expire, at zero cost.  (Expire would
have to do most everything updatemin does anyway.)  No patch needed.
--
"The N in NFS stands for Not, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
or Need, or perhaps Nightmare"| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu