[news.software.b] newgroup that just notifies for C news?

david@wiley.UUCP (David Hull) (02/22/90)

Has anybody got a $NEWSBIN/ctl/newgroup that just mails notification
to the newsmaster when it receives a newgroup control message instead
of actually creating the group?  I've got it pretty much done, but I'm
sure that someone else could do better.

Also, it appears that chamod assumes that the news system is already
locked when it runs, so I can't just tell the newsmaster to run it
directly.  Perhaps addgroup should be able to change the moderated-ness
of an existing newsgroups as well as adding new ones.  (OK, so it would
be trivial to write a wrapper around chamod, but I'd rather modify the
stock C news as little as possible.)

-David
					---------------------------------------
					David Hull  TRW Inc.  Redondo Beach, CA
					     david%wiley.uucp@csvax.caltech.edu
						...!{uunet,cit-vax}!wiley!david

In article <8949@wiley.UUCP> david@wiley.UUCP (David Hull) writes:
>Has anybody got a $NEWSBIN/ctl/newgroup that just mails notification
>to the newsmaster when it receives a newgroup control message instead
>of actually creating the group?  I've got it pretty much done, but I'm
>sure that someone else could do better.

There are several third-party variations of newgroup in my to-be-looked-at
queue, but I don't recall if that's one of them.

>Also, it appears that chamod assumes that the news system is already
>locked when it runs, so I can't just tell the newsmaster to run it
>directly...

That's right; the control-message programs are not meant to be run
manually.  You could run it from inside locknews (see newsmaint(8))
without problems, I think.

> Perhaps addgroup should be able to change the moderated-ness
>of an existing newsgroups as well as adding new ones.  (OK, so it would
>be trivial to write a wrapper around chamod, but I'd rather modify the
>stock C news as little as possible.)

Hmm, good point.  There ought to be some counterpart of addgroup that
would do this in an official way.  Stay tuned.
--
"The N in NFS stands for Not, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
or Need, or perhaps Nightmare"| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu