[news.software.b] C news expire: how do I get rid of this message?

he@idt.unit.no (Havard Eidnes) (02/27/90)

This seems like the right place to ask this question, even though it says
"b" in the group name...

I keep getting this message from expire in C news:

	expire problems:
	expire: wrong number of fields in `	635590719~-...'

What actions are necessary to fix this?

I am sorry if this is a typical 'novice' question answered several times
already, but I do not ordinarily read this newsgroup, and I am not particularly
experienced in running a news system (you guessed that, right?). Please reply
to me via mail.

TIA,

- Havard

In article <1990Feb26.204931.7667@idt.unit.no> he@idt.unit.no (Havard Eidnes) writes:
>	expire: wrong number of fields in `	635590719~-...'

I replied to the original poster by mail, as requested, but in case folks
are curious:  the message essentially means "corrupted history file", and
the fix is to either make local repairs (if you know what you're doing)
or rebuild history (if you don't).
--
"The N in NFS stands for Not, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
or Need, or perhaps Nightmare"| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

xxrich@alliant1 (Rich Rinehart) (02/27/90)

>>	expire: wrong number of fields in `	635590719~-...'
>
>I replied to the original poster by mail, as requested, but in case folks
>are curious:  the message essentially means "corrupted history file", and
>the fix is to either make local repairs (if you know what you're doing)
>or rebuild history (if you don't).

how does one rebuild history, by the way.

Rich Rinehart                  |     phone: 216-433-5211
NASA Lewis Research Center     |     email: xxrich@alliant1.lerc.nasa.gov

In article <1990Feb27.155224.3019@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> xxrich@alliant1.UUCP (Rich Rinehart) writes:
>>the fix is to either make local repairs (if you know what you're doing)
>>or rebuild history (if you don't).
>
>how does one rebuild history, by the way.

With mkhistory.  (That's the C News method, I think B News has it as an
option to expire for some reason.)