[news.software.b] Cnews expire over two disk partitions

hirai@cs.swarthmore.edu (Eiji Hirai) (02/28/90)

	I'm using Cnews 18-Jan-1990 on a MicrovaxII running Ultrix32 3.1.
Anyway, we were running out of space on our /var disk so I moved the rec.*
and comp.* groups over to another disk named /var2 and established symbolic
links in /var/spool/news/rec/* and /var/spool/news/comp/* to point to
/var2/news/rec and /var2/news/comp.

	After I did this, the articles in rec and comp aren't being expired
at all.  I'm hand-expiring the articles with find -mtime right now.  Am I
doing something wrong or is expire not supposed to encounter articles
residing on two disks?

--
Eiji Hirai @ Visual Geometry Project, Swarthmore College, Swarthmore PA 19081
hirai@cs.swarthmore.edu || hirai@swarthmr.bitnet || rutgers!bpa!swatsun!hirai

In article <89LFF0Y@xavier.swarthmore.edu> hirai@cs.swarthmore.edu (Eiji Hirai) writes:
>Anyway, we were running out of space on our /var disk so I moved the rec.*
>and comp.* groups over to another disk named /var2 and established symbolic
>links...   the articles in rec and comp aren't being expired
>at all.  I'm hand-expiring the articles with find -mtime right now.  Am I
>doing something wrong...

Something is fishy somewhere, but I don't know what it would be.  Expire
really doesn't know anything about directories at all; so long as opening
.../comp/sources/unix/2345 still gives the right file, and the file can
be unlinked, expire should be completely unaffected by symbolic links
en route.  Are you sure that /var2 is mounted at the time when expire runs?
--
"The N in NFS stands for Not, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
or Need, or perhaps Nightmare"| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

In article <89LFF0Y@xavier.swarthmore.edu> hirai@cs.swarthmore.edu (Eiji Hirai) writes:
>Anyway, we were running out of space on our /var disk so I moved the rec.*
>and comp.* groups over to another disk named /var2 and established symbolic
>links...   the articles in rec and comp aren't being expired...

Geoff points out that you will probably need to run expire with the -l
option, since relaynews will be creating symbolic links across filesystems
for cross-posted articles.  However, that doesn't explain the problem
you describe.