[news.software.b] Strange article numbers...

jc@minya.UUCP (John Chambers) (03/03/90)

Newsgroup: news.software.b
Subject: Strange article numbers...

I've been seeing some curious behavior of this Bnews 11 level 18 system.
The control and junk groups have funny-numbered articles.  For instance,
right now the control group contains:
	1        303      4        4030303  50303    603      7
	2        30303    403      5        5030303  60303
	3        3030303  40303    503      6        6030303
and junk contains files with similar names, though they mostly end with
strings of 01.  The log file complains about invalid ngsizes:

Mar  2 23:22	<119@minya.UUCP>	inews: found bad ngsize 603030302 ng control, setting to 1

When I look into the active file, the entries for control and junk look
like:
	control 0000050303 0000000000 y

Note that both numbers are longer than the regulation 7 digits.  They are
usually 9 digits; I've seen 11.

Any ideas?  This is a newly-installed level 18 news system, as you can
no doubt see.  The makeactive script hadn't been upgraded to make the
7-digit numbers, and I had to make that 1-line patch.  But this one is
apparently not as easy to solve.

[This is a test of my new Post script, which I can feed files with To:
and/or Newsgroup: lines, and it does the obvious thing.  Let's see if
it works...]

--
John Chambers ...!{harvard,ima,mit-eddie}!minya!jc

[Sorry, no clever saying today.]