[news.software.b] bit.* considered harmful, or the perils of gatewaying

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (03/03/90)

My B News 2.11.14 croaks on articles with articles that look like
this.  Note the
	>To:
and	>From:
headers.

I'm converting to C News soon, not sure if this is a bug in B News,
a bug in something else, or just a problem with bit.*.

--Ed
Edward Vielmetti, U of Michigan math dept.

(fetched from zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu)

article <DBASE-L%90022818341054@TECMTYVM.BITNET>
220 0 <DBASE-L%90022818341054@tecmtyvm.bitnet> Article retrieved, head and body follow.
>To: att!tecmtyvm.bitnet!dbase-l
>From: hmack (Herbert C. Mack x6098)
UA-Content-ID: <PMX-PC-2.0-003901-md3b2p-hmack-3879>
End-of-Header:
Email-Version: 2
UA-Message-ID: <ATT-2.01-hmack-164>
Phone: 631-6098
End-of-Protocol:
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.dbase-l
Date:         Wed, 28 Feb 90 18:33:53 EDT
Sender:       Discussion on the use of the dBase language and related dialects
              <DBASE-L@TECMTYVM>
From:         hmack@MD3B2P.ATT.COM
Subject:      dBase Listing

       To Whom It May Concern,

         I am interested in receiving information regarding dbase, fox, and
clipper. My return mail address is as follows:

         EMAIL DBASE -L md3b2p!hmack@att.att.com

        Thanks,

        Herb
.

flee@shire.cs.psu.edu (Felix Lee) (03/04/90)

Edward Vielmetti <emv@math.lsa.umich.edu> wrote:
>My B News 2.11.14 croaks on articles with articles that look like

B News assumes that header fields start with an alphabetic character.
I don't see any restriction in RFC 1036; RFC 822 says a field name can
have any printable ASCII character except ':' in it.  C News conforms
to RFC 822.
--
Felix Lee	flee@shire.cs.psu.edu	*!psuvax1!flee