[news.software.b] How to kill superseded articles

tale@cs.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (02/28/90)

In article <1640@sparko.gwu.edu> se208104@seas.gwu.edu (William Lai) writes:

> Is there a way to KILL the superceded article upon receipt of the
> new one?  I believe that one of the header lines is "supercede
> such-and-such".  Maybe that could be used?

What news system?  C News, as of the 10 Jan 90 patch, now will handle
the Supercedes: header directly in relaynews.  The original article is
cancelled.  Prior to this you had to use $NEWSBIN/expire/superkludge
to get the supercedes header to work, and then it only did it in the
groups named on the command line.  Now superceding is done a little
bit more efficiently at the cost of a slightly less efficient
relaynews.

As far as I know, which in this case is only memories of when we were
a B News site, supercedes are not done by B 2.11 but they might be in
the most recently releases.  (If so, someone who hopefully point that
out -- if not, then you could use a modified superkludge.)  The
possibility that Supercedes: is not done by B News is somewhat
corroborated by the fact that the header is not mentioned in Section 2
of RFC 1036.

One further note on superkludge: it only removes the file of the
superceded article.  References to the file in lib/history* will
remain until the article expires normally.

I don't know how other news systems deal with Supercedes:.

Dave
--
   (setq mail '("tale@cs.rpi.edu" "tale@ai.mit.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))
        "If a machine can be made so that an idiot can use it,

ambar@bloom-beacon.mit.edu (Jean Marie Diaz) (02/28/90)

   From: tale@cs.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence)
   Date: 28 Feb 90 03:13:27 GMT

   As far as I know, which in this case is only memories of when we were
   a B News site, supercedes are not done by B 2.11 but they might be in
   the most recently releases.

The original implementation of Supersedes: was done in B News 2.11.10.

				 AMBAR
ambar@bloom-beacon.mit.edu		  {mit-eddie,uunet}!bloom-beacon!ambar

	    Rule 1: there is no such thing as too many cats.

wcs) (03/04/90)

Well, first of all, you have to get the right header line - is it
	Supersedes: <Message-ID>	(Probably correct?)
or	Supercedes: <Message-ID>
Some of the newer versions of B News support it, and others don't.
--
# Bill Stewart AT&T Bell Labs 4M312 Holmdel NJ 201-949-0705 erebus.att.com!wcs
# Fax 949-4876.  Sometimes found at Somerset 201-271-4712