[news.software.b] C News and ihave/sendme

Question to the world, and the "C" news people:

I have a need to run a batched Ihave/Sendme link with a site.  This is bad
enough, but I ALSO want to delay the "ihave"s for 24 hours.  Ideally we
would send both the article list and resulting traffic (from the "sendme")
compressed, although it is not necessary to send the ihave's compressed (the
articles which return, however, in some cases could be LITERALLY a full feed
and thus must be in normal compressed format!)

The purpose of this is to provide closure in the event of a failure of news
distribution in our local area Usenet ring.  We don't want to send articles
around all the time, but if something breaks it would be nice to have the
system automatically recover.

Seeing as I've not played with Ihave/sendme much, and not at all with "C"
News, is there anyone out there who has (1) done this, and (2) has any
helpful hints on making it work?

Thanks in advance; Email is fine...

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 566-8911], Voice: [+1 708 566-8910]

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (03/19/90)

You might look into using at(1) to add more delays.   Use (on the ihave site)

site-ctl:whatever:L:delayscript site

where delayscript is a something that uses at(1) to delay 24 hours and then
uux the ihave article to the other system.

Check the load caused by using ihave/sendme - C News uses the very slow
inews script to post the ihave articles.

For people not wanting extra delays, I'd consider using

site-ctl:to.site/all,!sendme,!ihave:L:uux - -gB site!rnews

on the ihave site to speed things up a bit.

geoff@utstat.uucp (Geoff Collyer) (03/19/90)

Jon Zeeff:
>Check the load caused by using ihave/sendme - C News uses the very slow
>inews script to post the ihave articles.

We run batched ihave/sendme between utzoo and utstat (unbatched
ihave/sendme is a disaster for any news system).  The extra load due to
ihave/sendme is trivial: one, or occasionally two, extra ``very slow''
inews(es) per hour.  I think we can stand it.

inews can afford to be slow since it is invoked relatively infrequently.
Anyone using inews to gateway mailing lists into newsgroups should
instead see contrib/nntpmail for a faster way to gateway.  Nevertheless,
slowness is not a goal of inews and work is underway to produce a
somewhat more portable and faster inews (ah, for the good old days when
shell scripts were more portable than C!).
--
Geoff Collyer		utzoo!utstat!geoff, geoff@utstat.toronto.edu

In article <1990Mar17.070106.3572@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
>I have a need to run a batched Ihave/Sendme link with a site.  This is bad
>enough, but I ALSO want to delay the "ihave"s for 24 hours.  Ideally we
>would send both the article list and resulting traffic (from the "sendme")
>compressed...

The documentation, and the example in the sample sys file, should suffice
for figuring out how to set up an ihave/sendme feed.  Admittedly it is not
the simplest thing in the world, but that's ihave/sendme for you.  The
example includes compression for all traffic flowing over the link.

The 24-hour delay is a little more complicated to arrange, but feasible.
Rather than having the sys file feed article names directly into the
out.going/foo/todo file, have it put them somewhere else where the
batcher won't find them.  Then periodically concatenate that file onto
the end of out.going/foo/todo.  (Actually, you may want to add an
intermediate stage or two to get a better approximation of an exact
24-hour delay, if that matters.)
--
MSDOS, abbrev:  Maybe SomeDay |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
an Operating System.          | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu