[news.software.b] C news expire problem in Xenix/286

In article <1990Apr5.223115.746@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US> scott@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Scott Reynolds) writes:
>The small model expire aborts with a memory fault in expire, and it
>sends me the message "strvsav: out of memory."  The obvious solution
>is to use a large model expire with small model for everything else.
>This is not a lot of fun though...

Sigh.  We're handicapped nowadays (in a way!) by the fact that utzoo is
no longer a 16-bit machine.  We still try to keep space consumption down
so C News can run on small machines (and run efficiently on large ones!),
but we no longer have the old 11/44 enforcing such discipline.  Expire
has grown some, and particularly when you're getting a lot of newsgroups,
it appears to have trouble fitting in 16 bits.  I have some ideas that
might help with this, and plan to try them out soon, but I fear I have
no magic to suggest meanwhile.
--
Apollo @ 8yrs: one small step.|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
Space station @ 8yrs:        .| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu