[news.software.b] Bad expiry dates on incoming news articles

tih@barsoom.nhh.no (Tom Ivar Helbekkmo) (04/08/90)

From time to time (a few times a week, to be more specific), I get an
error message from B news about an "unparsable date" in an incoming
news article.  These messages can come from different sites, but the
error situation is always this:

Expires: 31 Dec 69 23:59:59 GMT

The last one I got was from amelia.nas.nasa.gov, I haven't kept track
of the earlier ones, unfortunately.

So, what I'm wondering is, is this just a bad joke or is it a bug in
that site's news software?  Obviously, this date has an internal
representation of -1L, so I reckon it could be an error return that
was used as a date instead of being trapped?

-tih
--
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo, NHH, Bergen, Norway.  Telephone: +47-5-959205
tih@barsoom.nhh.no, thelbekk@norunit.bitnet, edb_tom@debet.nhh.no

In article <766@barsoom.nhh.no> tih@barsoom.nhh.no (Tom Ivar Helbekkmo) writes:
>So, what I'm wondering is, is this just a bad joke or is it a bug in
>that site's news software?  Obviously, this date has an internal
>representation of -1L...

It's a bit hard to tell for sure, but probably what is happening is that
the expiry date was originally something silly, and a B News site along
the way has tried to rewrite it into something sensible and silently
failed, with getdate() returning -1 and B News faithfully converting that
to an ASCII date.  C News does not rewrite headers unnecessarily, so we
actually see some of the expiry dates people put in -- things like "when
my subscription does".
--
Apollo @ 8yrs: one small step.|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
Space station @ 8yrs:        .| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu