[news.software.b] Blank Space in Message-IDs: legal or not ?

mike@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Mike Trogni) (04/10/90)

It seems that CNews (an excellent program, IMHO) drops messages
that have white-space in their message-IDs.  Is this anti-social
behavior or have I mis-installed something crucial?  My view is
that the program should be conservative in what it sends out,
liberal in what it accepts.    Luckily, only one site so far
has been generating this message-Ids.

-mike

In article <1990Apr9.195305.10134@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> mike@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Mike Trogni) writes:
>It seems that CNews (an excellent program, IMHO) drops messages
>that have white-space in their message-IDs.  Is this anti-social
>behavior or have I mis-installed something crucial?  My view is
>that the program should be conservative in what it sends out,
>liberal in what it accepts...

Message-IDs with white space in them are illegal by all relevant standards.
We subscribe to the "conservative in sending, liberal in acceptance" rule
in general, but white space in message-IDs fouls up too many things by
ruining field numbering.
--
Apollo @ 8yrs: one small step.|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
Space station @ 8yrs:        .| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu