[news.software.b] Whence the status lines in batchlog?

stealth@caen.engin.umich.edu (Mike Pelletier) (04/12/90)

I'm wondering:  where are the lines that sometimes appear between
the dates in the batchlog file generated, and where does the data
come from?  Lines like:

Tue Apr 10 06:45:03 EDT 1990
b-tech  backlog 355 (queue full, no recent movement)
Tue Apr 10 06:45:06 EDT 1990

 ... or ...

Tue Apr 10 21:45:04 EDT 1990
b-tech  backlog 282 (batches flowing)
Tue Apr 10 21:48:01 EDT 1990

---
Does the lack of such a line between dates indicate that all's well, then?
Thanks for the information...

--
Michael V. Pelletier		| "We live our lives with our hands on the
 CAEN UseNet News Administrator	|  rear-view mirror, striving to get a better

In article <1990Apr12.154612.23746@caen.engin.umich.edu> stealth@caen.engin.umich.edu (Mike Pelletier) writes:
>I'm wondering:  where are the lines that sometimes appear between
>the dates in the batchlog file generated, and where does the data
>come from? ...

Sendbatches is generating them, based on counts of lines left in the
batch files after limits on space, batches, etc. are reached.  They're
basically backlog reports, to give you some idea who's pulling batches
through promptly and who isn't.

>Does the lack of such a line between dates indicate that all's well, then?

That's right; batchlog runs on the no-news-is-good-news principle.
--
With features like this,      |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
who needs bugs?               | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

rmtodd@servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) (04/13/90)

stealth@caen.engin.umich.edu (Mike Pelletier) writes:

>I'm wondering:  where are the lines that sometimes appear between
>the dates in the batchlog file generated, and where does the data
>come from?  Lines like:
>b-tech  backlog 355 (queue full, no recent movement)
> ... or ...
>b-tech  backlog 282 (batches flowing)

They come from the shell script $NEWSBIN/batch/sendbatches.  The messages
are printed only if there is a backlog of news articles listed in the
togo* files (i.e. waiting to be batched) at the end of the batching run.
Generally this only happens when it couldn't queue batches for all the
articles, either because of a full disk or because the per-site limit
on batches has been hit (C News only allows a certain number of batches
to be waiting in the UUCP queue at a time, so that downstream sites that
roll over and die don't cause your spool partition to fill up).
As near as I can tell, there are 3 different log messages you'll find in
batchlog:
	(disk too full for batching) -- obvious, isn't it?
	(queue full, no recent movement) -- the destination has a full queue
		of batches already made sitting in its UUCP queue
	(batches flowing) -- there's still a backlog of articles that haven't
		been batched, but the destination's UUCP queue isn't full,
		so batches are moving.

>Does the lack of such a line between dates indicate that all's well, then?
Yep.
--
Richard Todd	rmtodd@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd@servalan.uucp