[news.software.b] Newsgroups question...

dean@truevision.com (Dean Riddlebarger) (05/24/90)

This is one of those "I must've missed something trivial" questions:

When a new newsgroup is created locally, using the /usr/lib/news/inews -C
command, I am prompted for a brief description of the group.  Where
does this description go?  I would have thought that it would be
placed in the /usr/lib/news/newsgroups file, but after creating a
couple of local groups I checked said file and no updates had been
made.  I'm sure that I'm missing some trivial point, and I'd hate
to do updates to these files manually after newgroup creation.

Any hints??

--
<:>   Dean Riddlebarger                               "The bus came by       <:>
<:>   MIS Manager - Truevision, Inc.                    and I got on,        <:>

In article <251@epicb.com> dean@truevision.com (Dean Riddlebarger) writes:
>When a new newsgroup is created locally, using the /usr/lib/news/inews -C
>command, I am prompted for a brief description of the group.  Where
>does this description go? ...

It goes into the control-message article that creates the group.  This
is actually a bit pointless nowadays, since "inews -C" doesn't send the
article to any other machines, but...
--
Life is too short to spend    |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
debugging Intel parts. -Van J.| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu