[news.software.b] How do you print the man pages without [nt]roff?

bill@twg.bc.ca (Bill Irwin) (06/02/90)

Well,  I have managed to wade my way through most of the "doc" and  "man"
pages  -  even  those that were not ".fmt".  I must say it  way  quite  a
chore.   Now  I have the job of educating users on the proper use of  the
net.   This  will  not  be  possible without  being  able  to  print  the
documentation  for them.  They either can't or won't drop to subshells to
"less"  the right file - even if they could remember where it is  stashed
away.

What I would like to know is - can I get decent hard copy of this without
spending $600-$900 for some nroff/troff software?  I find it a little odd
that  all this lovely software gets transmitted to my system free, but  I
have to spend hundreds of dollars to print the instructions?

I must be missing something.  I hope so.  Please let me know.
--
Bill Irwin - TWG The Westrheim Group - Vancouver, BC, Canada
uunet!van-bc!twg!bill     (604) 431-9600 (voice) |     UNIX Systems

rmtodd@servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) (06/03/90)

bill@twg.bc.ca (Bill Irwin) writes:
>What I would like to know is - can I get decent hard copy of this without
>spending $600-$900 for some nroff/troff software?  I find it a little odd
>that  all this lovely software gets transmitted to my system free, but  I
>have to spend hundreds of dollars to print the instructions?

>I must be missing something.  I hope so.  Please let me know.

  Well, what you're missing is a copy of nroff/troff :-).  Seriously, what
you've run into is the new trend in the Unix marketing world, called
"unbundling" by the vendors or "being nickeled and dimed to death" by the
customers.  Used to be, when you bought Unix, you paid a rather large lump
sum and got the whole ball of wax -- the basic Unix utilities, the C
compiler, nroff/troff, networking, the whole bit.  Nowadays it's becoming
more common to split off the "options" like nroff/troff, networking, etc.
as separate packages, which means that your initial cost is lower, but
once you discover that you really need those extra goodies after all you
get to pay for each of them separately.
  The upshot of this is that the reason those documents are written in
troff form is that, for those of us who bought Unix in one large massive
lump, the troff program did come "free"; we've already got it, so why not
use it?  Of course, this doesn't help you much, though.  What you need is
some kind soul to print off the documentation for you.
  Fortunately, someone out there has done just that.  Conor Cahill of
Virtual Technologies has put together a package of Usenet Documentation.
Basically what he's done is gotten together all the documentation of the
free software that circulates around Usenet (not just B and C News, but
other goodies like Perl, Mush, Elm, rn, most of the GNU programs, and a
good deal more), printed them out on a LaserJet, and had lots of copies
Xeroxed off.  He's now selling them, a two-volume set with about 600
pages/volume, for around $50 per set.  (Alas, I've forgotten the exact
details of the pricing; try writing uunet!virtech!manuals for the complete
info.)  Not a bad deal at all, considering that if I had to run all that
stuff off on the laserprinter at the university I attend, it'd cost me
around $120 (they charge 10 cents/page).
  Granted, this set is probably overkill if all you're interested in is B
or C News, but if you're interested in other programs as well, you might
find it worthwhile.  And it beats shelling out $600 for a copy of troff
:-).
--
Richard Todd	rmtodd@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd@servalan.uucp

In article <161@twg.bc.ca> bill@twg.bc.ca (Bill Irwin) writes:
>...   Now  I have the job of educating users on the proper use of  the
>net.   This  will  not  be  possible without  being  able  to  print  the
>documentation  for them...  can I get decent hard copy of this without
>spending $600-$900 for some nroff/troff software?  ...

From the sounds of it, you've got B News, but we've seen the same problem
with C News on System V machines.  We have a slightly odd solution to it
in the works; stay tuned.  (Don't expect anything for 2-3 weeks, though,
as we're both going to be away for Usenix.)
--
As a user I'll take speed over|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
features any day. -A.Tanenbaum| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu