[news.software.b] Help! With ihave/sendme and C news.

fmayhar@hermes.ladc.bull.com (Frank Mayhar) (06/02/90)

I sent this to Henry; no response as yet, so I thought I would
post it here.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm trying to run ihave/sendme with another nearby site (turnkey).  Almost
everything seems to work, except for one little gotcha.

It seems that when relaynews "posts" the ihave control article, it appears
in the control newsgroup, and the message-id of said article gets put into
turnkey.ihave/togo.  The batcher faithfully picks this message ID up and
posts it as another ihave control article.  This immediately leads to an
infinite loop, as the new article's message-id gets put into
turnkey.ihave/togo again, the batcher picks it up, etc.

Is this a bug in relaynews?  Should it really be working this way?  Or do
I have something misconfigured?  Info:  I'm running C news with the latest
(May '90) patches, on a Sun 3/160 running SunOS 4.0.3.
Here are the sys file lines:

turnkey:all,!bull,!ladc,!alt.sex,!alt.drugs,!talk/all,!sendme,\
        !ihave:I:turnkey.ihave/togo
turnkey-send-ids:to.turnkey/ihave:I:turnkey.sendme/togo
turnkey-ctl:to.turnkey/all,!sendme,!ihave:f:turnkey/togo
turnkey-real:to.turnkey/sendme:f:turnkey/togo

Here's my batchparms file:

# site          size    queue   builder muncher sender
# ----          ----    -----   ------- ------- ------
/default/       150000  8       batcher compcun viauux
#
# sample ihave/sendme setup
turnkey.ihave   150000  20      batchih nocomp  viainews
turnkey.sendme  150000  20      batchsm nocomp  viainews

Help!
--
Frank Mayhar  fmayhar@hermes.ladc.bull.com (..!{uunet,hacgate}!ladcgw!fmayhar)
              Bull HN Information Systems Inc.  Los Angeles Development Center

In article <1990Jun2.010920.729@ladc.bull.com> fmayhar@hermes.ladc.bull.com writes:
>I sent this to Henry; no response as yet...

Sorry about the slow response; my mailbox has gotten somewhat clogged of late.

>It seems that when relaynews "posts" the ihave control article, it appears
>in the control newsgroup, and the message-id of said article gets put into
>turnkey.ihave/togo.  The batcher faithfully picks this message ID up and
>posts it as another ihave control article...

I think you've got some sort of problem with the sys-file line with
turnkey.ihave/togo in it.  It should be excluding both sendmes and
ihaves from that batch file.  Just out of paranoia... I note you've
split it into two with a backslash... there wouldn't by any chance be
some white space after that backslash, would there?  Relaynews is, in
most cases, quite intolerant of extraneous white space, and isn't good
at diagnosing the problem.  Try making that line all one (long) line,
and see if that cures it.

Otherwise the sys file looks okay.  We have an ihave/sendme test feed
between utstat and utzoo as an ongoing test of ihave/sendme, and it
is working fine.
--
As a user I'll take speed over|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
features any day. -A.Tanenbaum| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

fmayhar@hermes.ladc.bull.com (Frank Mayhar) (06/04/90)

In article <1990Jun3.000607.8128@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
}In article <1990Jun2.010920.729@ladc.bull.com> I write:
}>[...]
}>It seems that when relaynews "posts" the ihave control article, it appears
}>in the control newsgroup, and the message-id of said article gets put into
}>turnkey.ihave/togo.  The batcher faithfully picks this message ID up and
}>posts it as another ihave control article...
}I think you've got some sort of problem with the sys-file line with
}turnkey.ihave/togo in it.  It should be excluding both sendmes and
}ihaves from that batch file.  Just out of paranoia... I note you've
}split it into two with a backslash... there wouldn't by any chance be
}some white space after that backslash, would there?  Relaynews is, in
}most cases, quite intolerant of extraneous white space, and isn't good
}at diagnosing the problem.  Try making that line all one (long) line,
}and see if that cures it.

Well, I tried that, and the behavior didn't change.  (And there wasn't any
whitespace after the backslash.  There was whitespace at the beginning of
the continuation line, though, which I removed.)  I joined the lines into
one long line, removed the whitespace, and ran sendbatch.  Same problem.
It appears that ihave/sendme is otherwise working OK, with just this single
annoyance.

Now the affected lines look like:

turnkey:all,!bull,!ladc,!alt.sex,!alt.drugs,!talk/all,!sendme,!ihave:I:turnkey.ihave/togo
turnkey-send-ids:to.turnkey/ihave:I:turnkey.sendme/togo
turnkey-ctl:to.turnkey/all,!sendme,!ihave:f:turnkey/togo
turnkey-real:to.turnkey/sendme:f:turnkey/togo

The batchparms file is unchanged.
--
Frank Mayhar  fmayhar@hermes.ladc.bull.com (..!{uunet,hacgate}!ladcgw!fmayhar)
              Bull HN Information Systems Inc.  Los Angeles Development Center
              5250 W. Century Blvd., LA, CA  90045    Phone:  (213) 216-6241

geoff@utstat.uucp (Geoff Collyer) (06/04/90)

Frank Mayhar:
>turnkey:all,!bull,!ladc,!alt.sex,!alt.drugs,!talk/all,!sendme,!ihave:I:turnkey.ihave/togo

You omitted ``,!to'' from the newsgroups list.  ``!to'' is mandatory.
--
Geoff Collyer		utzoo!utstat!geoff, geoff@utstat.toronto.edu

fmayhar@hermes.ladc.bull.com (Frank Mayhar) (06/05/90)

In article <1990Jun4.021749.4665@utstat.uucp>, geoff@utstat.uucp (Geoff
Collyer) writes:
> Frank Mayhar:
>
>turnkey:all,!bull,!ladc,!alt.sex,!alt.drugs,!talk/all,!sendme,!ihave:I:
:turnkey.ihave/togo

> You omitted ``,!to'' from the newsgroups list.  ``!to'' is mandatory.

Ah ha!  That must be it!

You might want to add this to the example ihave/sendme setup in the news(5)
man page, which is where I stole my setup from.

Thanks for the help!
--
Frank Mayhar  fmayhar@hermes.ladc.bull.com (..!{uunet,hacgate}!ladcgw!fmayhar)
              Bull HN Information Systems Inc.  Los Angeles Development Center
              5250 W. Century Blvd., LA, CA  90045    Phone:  (213) 216-6241

geoff@utstat.uucp (Geoff Collyer) (06/05/90)

Frank Mayhar:
>You might want to add this to the example ihave/sendme setup in the news(5)
>man page, which is where I stole my setup from.

Hmm, good point, our examples could be more general.  On the other
hand, this very problem with ``!to'' is discussed in notebook/ihave,
which you really should read before setting up an ihave/sendme link
(and not just because I wrote it :-): it explains the theory and
practice of ihave/sendme.
--
Geoff Collyer		utzoo!utstat!geoff, geoff@utstat.toronto.edu