[news.software.b] Duplicate Message-IDs in history

nash@ucselx.sdsu.edu (Ron Nash) (06/01/90)

I have a clearer example of the Cnews problem I am having.  The problem
seems to be that history is not recoginizing duplicate Message-ID's
from my UUCP feeds.  The duplicate article gets added and corrupts the
active file.  NNTP feeds seem to work fine.  Any suggestions?

/usr/spool/news/sdnet/wanted> ls -l
-rw-rw-r--  3 news          895 May 24 04:25 60
-rw-rw-r--  3 news         1293 May 28 23:49 61
-rw-rw-r--  3 news          659 May 29 02:59 62
-rw-rw-r--  2 news         1155 May 30 17:52 65
-rw-rw-r--  1 news          693 May 31 19:42 66
-rw-rw-r--  1 news          688 May 31 23:15 67

/usr/spool/news/sdnet/wanted> grep sdnet.wanted ~news/active
sdnet.wanted 0006700066 00060 y

/usr/spool/news/sdnet/wanted> grep sdnet.wanted ~news/history
<10949@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>	643975173~-	ca.wanted/2364 misc.wanted/11282 sdnet.w
anted/62
<1352@calmasd.Prime.COM>	644115128~-	ca.wanted/2380 sdnet.wanted/65
<141@cogsci.ucsd.EDU>	643548317~-	comp.sys.mac.wanted/271 misc.forsale/187
35 sdnet.wanted/60
<2360@nosc.NOSC.MIL>	643963765~-	rec.food.veg/5147 sdnet.wanted/61 soc.cu
lture.jewish/15464
<2505@network.ucsd.edu>	644208166~-	sdnet.wanted/66
<2505@network.ucsd.edu>	06/01/90 06:15	sdnet.wanted/67

/usr/spool/news/sdnet/wanted> grep '2505@network' ~news/log.o
May 31 19:42:46.968 sdsu + <2505@network.ucsd.edu> berick sdiego gdwest
May 31 23:15	crash	received <2505@network.ucsd.edu> ng sdnet.wanted subj 'P
ickup truck wanted' from csc@coast.ucsd.edu (Charles Coughran)
May 31 23:15	crash	<2505@network.ucsd.edu> sent to sdsu, berick, sdiego, gd
west

/usr/spool/news/sdnet/wanted> head 66 67
==> 66 <==
From: csc@coast.ucsd.edu (Charles Coughran)
Newsgroups: sdnet.wanted
Subject: Pickup truck wanted
Date: 31 May 90 18:24:28 GMT
Sender: nobody@network.ucsd.edu

==> 67 <==
From: csc@coast.ucsd.edu (Charles Coughran)
Newsgroups: sdnet.wanted
Date: 31 May 90 18:24:28 GMT
Sender: nobody@network.ucsd.edu

--
Ron Nash
San Diego State University

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (06/02/90)

>I have a clearer example of the Cnews problem I am having.  The problem
>seems to be that history is not recoginizing duplicate Message-ID's
>from my UUCP feeds.  The duplicate article gets added and corrupts the
>active file.  NNTP feeds seem to work fine.  Any suggestions?

Make sure you are not mixing a dbm nntp with a dbz news.

--
Jon Zeeff (NIC handle JZ)	 zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us

nash@ucselx.sdsu.edu (Ron Nash) (06/02/90)

In article <CTL%FB?@b-tech.uucp> zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:
>>I have a clearer example of the Cnews problem I am having.  The problem
>>seems to be that history is not recoginizing duplicate Message-ID's
>>from my UUCP feeds.  The duplicate article gets added and corrupts the
>>active file.  NNTP feeds seem to work fine.  Any suggestions?

>Make sure you are not mixing a dbm nntp with a dbz news.

Jon,
	Good ideal, but I did recompile all the nntp/server stuff with
dbz.  I did not have the problem after switching to dbz until over a
month later when I took on 4 UUCP sites to feed.

--

In article <1990Jun1.162428.21301@ucselx.sdsu.edu> nash@ucselx.sdsu.edu (Ron Nash) writes:
>I have a clearer example of the Cnews problem I am having.  The problem
>seems to be that history is not recoginizing duplicate Message-ID's
>from my UUCP feeds.  The duplicate article gets added and corrupts the
>active file...

You need to check what's happening when things arrive by uucp.  From the
file excerpts you include, I very strongly suspect that you have a B News
system still active on your machine, and *both* are processing the incoming
traffic.  You have both B-type and C-type history entries, for example.
For a guess, the reason why duplicates are getting through is that B News
is not using dbz.
--
As a user I'll take speed over|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
features any day. -A.Tanenbaum| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

nash@ucselx.sdsu.edu (Ron Nash) (06/05/90)

In article <1990Jun2.230633.6125@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <1990Jun1.162428.21301@ucselx.sdsu.edu> nash@ucselx.sdsu.edu (Ron Nash) writes:
>>I have a clearer example of the Cnews problem I am having.  The problem
>>seems to be that history is not recoginizing duplicate Message-ID's
>>from my UUCP feeds.

>You need to check what's happening when things arrive by uucp.  From the
>file excerpts you include, I very strongly suspect that you have a B News
>system still active on your machine, and *both* are processing the incoming
>traffic.  You have both B-type and C-type history entries, for example.
>For a guess, the reason why duplicates are getting through is that B News
>is not using dbz.

The problem turned out to be caused by 1) /bin/rnews did not have world
execute causing UUCP to run 2) an ancient copy of /usr/bin/rnews left
over from the Bnews to Cnews conversion last year.  Cnews uses dbz and
Bnews was using dbm allowing the duplicate articles and general chaos
I was having.

Thanks to all who replied and sent email.