[news.software.b] Cnews 05/25/90 relaynews problem

paul@unhtel.uucp (Paul S. Sawyer) (06/26/90)

In article <1990Jun21.165047.16071@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <1990Jun20.114755.22316@unhtel.uucp> paul@unhtel.uucp (Paul S. Sawyer) writes:
>>When my cnews was doing this, it was because the batches were not being
>>uncompressed. Newsrun has "uncompress -d" in it, and my compress wanted
                                       ^
Yes, I meant to say "compress -d" here | ...

>>"uncompress" or "compress -u"...
>
>More precisely, newsrun invokes "compress -d", which has been standard
>since the very first distribution of compress, over five years ago.
>Looking at old sources, I find no indication that there has ever been
>a -u option in the standard distribution.  We can't take responsibility
>for bugs introduced by suppliers.

Well, the offending version is dated "4.0 85/07/30...joe" and "-d"
sets something called "delta mode".  It looks like someone (not here) may have
hacked an extra feature....  I did not mean to imply that compress should
have worked that way, just that that was what happened to me;  I do not
know where the strange version came from, or if it was distributed widely.
The compress that I then got from UUNET is dated 9/24/87, says that it is
based on that of 85/07/30 and of course has no "delta mode" or "-u".

>A note about this will go in our portability-problems document.  It had
>never occurred to us that anyone would be so stupid as to make incompatible
>changes in the user interface of compress...

I hope it was only a local anomaly....

--
Paul S. Sawyer              uunet!unh!unhtel!paul     paul@unhtel.UUCP
UNH Telecommunications        attmail!psawyer       p_sawyer@UNHH.BITNET