[news.software.b] netnews storage representation

fair@Apple.COM (Erik E. Fair) (06/26/90)

I cheated. When it came time to newfs a whole RP07 as /usr/spool/news,
I dropped the number of cylinders per cylinder group to bump up the
number of inodes.

However, the point is well taken.

In the referenced article, mathisen@dali.UUCP (Jaye Mathisen) writes:

	I got some stuff in the mail, about the Epoch 1 Infinite
	Storage Server, with combinations of Winchester storage, and
	optical, that might work.

Actually, their design has this one small flaw (at least, for this
purpose): their inodes stay on the hard disk, so you don't have to keep
rewriting the WORM with updated inodes. We've owned serial #7 for about
a year or so. This same problem exists with the Cray migration software
that we use to backstop 30Gb of fast hard disk into a terabyte of tape
silo.

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul A Vixie) (07/01/90)

>> I cheated. When it came time to newfs a whole RP07 as /usr/spool/news,
>> I dropped the number of cylinders per cylinder group to bump up the
>> number of inodes.

I'm already at 16 cylinders per group, which seems to be the minimum.

However, Rick Adams suggested that I lie about other aspects of the
disk geometry, so that what "newfs" thinks is a cylinder actually has
fewer blocks in it.

And, for the kicker, Henry Spencer reminded me that C News can deal
with having /usr/spool/news split across multiple partitions.
--
Paul Vixie
DEC Western Research Lab	<vixie@wrl.dec.com>

In article <VIXIE.90Jun30111849@volition.pa.dec.com> vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul A Vixie) writes:
>And, for the kicker, Henry Spencer reminded me that C News can deal
>with having /usr/spool/news split across multiple partitions.

"Deal with" may be a slightly strong statement, as there are some rough
edges when cross-postings cross partition boundaries, but yes, it can
be done.
--
"Either NFS must be scrapped or NFS    | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
must be changed."  -John K. Ousterhout |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

paul@devon.lns.pa.us (Paul Sutcliffe Jr.) (07/02/90)

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul A Vixie) writes:

> And, for the kicker, Henry Spencer reminded me that C News can deal
> with having /usr/spool/news split across multiple partitions.

But only if your UNIX supports symbolic links, no?

- paul

INTERNET:  paul@devon.lns.pa.us        |      If life's a bitch, then
UUCP:      ...!rutgers!devon!paul      |      we must be her puppies.