[news.software.b] C-news expire dumps core

datpete@daimi.dk (Peter Andersen) (07/05/90)

We run C-news patchlevel 16-Apr-1990 with dbz and nntp 1.5.7, and have
experienced the following problem:

Due to a major system-crash some control files were damaged. Concerning the
news system this was the case for either history.dir or history.pag or both.
However I took quite a while to figure out that this was the case.
I did not get any mails or syslogs reporting troubles from expire, but I could
see that it did not succeed, and dumped core in the NEWSCTL directory.
If I tried running doexpire manually I got the following message:

/var/spool/news/lib/newsbin/expire/doexpire: 19606 Memory fault - core dumped

I discovered that it was the dbz-files that was corrupted when I saw that
nntpd reported things like

Jul  2 19:47:17 daimi nntpd[2243]: openartbyid: dbminit
/var/spool/news/lib/news/history: Operation would block

and

Jul  2 19:47:19 daimi nntpd[2243]: openartbyid: dbminit
/var/spool/news/lib/news/history: Not owner

and

Jul  2 19:47:38 daimi nntpd[2243]: openartbyid: dbminit
/var/spool/news/lib/news/history: No such file or directory.

(and I got a lot of mails from nntpd mentioning bad input batches)
The history file was indeed present and was owned by news, so the two last
messages was a bit confusing.

But since examining the core file dumped by expire with adb showed that expire
also had problems with dbminit, I realized that the dbz-files were corrupted
and did a mkdbm which solved the problem.

My question is: In most other cases the various C-news programs is rather
verbose and mails all potential problems to me. So shouldn't it be able to
realize that the dbz-files are corrupted, and tell me that. It seems that it
*is* possible since nntpd is able to. In my particular case such a message
would have spared me several hours of work to figure out what was wrong.

Is this a bug in expire, or can I have a wrong configuration ?

Peter Andersen

In article <1990Jul4.212921.26279@daimi.dk> datpete@daimi.dk writes:
>Due to a major system-crash some control files were damaged...
>... I realized that the dbz-files were corrupted
>and did a mkdbm which solved the problem.
>
>My question is: In most other cases the various C-news programs is rather
>verbose and mails all potential problems to me. So shouldn't it be able to
>realize that the dbz-files are corrupted, and tell me that...

I would have expected it to do so, in fact.  Normally it is quite picky
about the format of the files.  I would appreciate more details, if you
have any.  (In particular, knowing precisely which function dumped core
would be helpful.)
--
"Either NFS must be scrapped or NFS    | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
must be changed."  -John K. Ousterhout |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry