[news.software.b] Odd expire output

stealth@caen.engin.umich.edu (Mike Pelletier) (07/10/90)

Every time I run expire via "doexpire -v" on srvr1, my news server,
I get the following error output:

> Date: Mon, 9 Jul 90 14:23:28 EDT
> From: news@srvr1.engin.umich.edu (CAEN Netnews)
>
> expire problems:
> expire: wrong number of fields in `...'
> expire: bad return from doline(): `'

Currently I'm stumped as to where the source of this problem is.  My
best guess is that it's coming from the history file, but I'm not really
sure how to proceed.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

--
Michael V. Pelletier            | "We live our lives with our hands on the
 CAEN UseNet News Administrator |  rear-view mirror, striving to get a better

In article <1990Jul9.183558.287@caen.engin.umich.edu> stealth@caen.engin.umich.edu (Mike Pelletier) writes:
>> expire: wrong number of fields in `...'
>> expire: bad return from doline(): `'
>
>Currently I'm stumped as to where the source of this problem is...

You've got a blank line in your history file.  The problem is being
compounded slightly by a bug in expire's error handling.

The fix is to go find the messed-up line(s) in your history file,
and either tidy them up or get rid of them.
--
NFS is a wonderful advance:  a Unix    | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
filesystem with MSDOS semantics. :-(   |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (07/12/90)

>>> expire: wrong number of fields in `...'
>>> expire: bad return from doline(): `'
>>
>>Currently I'm stumped as to where the source of this problem is...
>
>You've got a blank line in your history file.  The problem is being
>compounded slightly by a bug in expire's error handling.
>
>The fix is to go find the messed-up line(s) in your history file,
>and either tidy them up or get rid of them.

Won't this blow away the dbm stuff?  I thought the only safe thing
to do was rebuild the history files from scratch when things got
messed up.  (?)

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

In article <1990Jul12.062819.20760@pegasus.com> richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:
>>The fix is to go find the messed-up line(s) in your history file,
>>and either tidy them up or get rid of them.
>
>Won't this blow away the dbm stuff?  I thought the only safe thing
>to do was rebuild the history files from scratch when things got
>messed up.  (?)

Mm, I should have mentioned this.  You can rebuild the dbm/dbz database
without having to rebuild the history file from scratch.  At the moment
(this is subject to change), the procedure is to lock the news system
(e.g. with locknews), cd /usr/lib/news, and "mkdbm history".  (Mkdbm can
be found in /usr/lib/newsbin/expire, if nowhere else.)
--
NFS:  all the nice semantics of MSDOS, | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
and its performance and security too.  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry