[news.software.b] What happens with the nntp.a$$ files?

stealth@caen.engin.umich.edu (Mike Pelletier) (07/20/90)

Occasionally I get "nntp.a<process id>" files hanging around in my
/usr/spool/news/in.coming directory.  What entity in the C-news
entourage is responsable for processing these files, or is it NNTPs
responsability?  Is there a simpler way to deal with them than
using "cat nntp.a* | rnews"?  Thanks for the information...

	-Mike.
--
Michael V. Pelletier            | "We live our lives with our hands on the
 CAEN UseNet News Administrator |  rear-view mirror, striving to get a better

In article <1990Jul19.215007.27992@caen.engin.umich.edu> stealth@caen.engin.umich.edu (Mike Pelletier) writes:
>Occasionally I get "nntp.a<process id>" files hanging around in my
>/usr/spool/news/in.coming directory.  What entity in the C-news
>entourage is responsable for processing these files, or is it NNTPs
>responsability? ...

Sounds like those are NNTP temporaries; C News neither creates nor deals
with files with names like that.  (The only files in that directory that
are meaningful to C News are the ones whose names start with a digit.)
--
NFS:  all the nice semantics of MSDOS, | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
and its performance and security too.  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

mwarren@mips2.cr.bull.com (Mark Warren) (07/21/90)

In article <1990Jul19.215007.27992@caen.engin.umich.edu> stealth@caen.engin.umich.edu (Mike Pelletier) writes:
>Occasionally I get "nntp.a<process id>" files hanging around in my
>/usr/spool/news/in.coming directory.  What entity in the C-news
>entourage is responsable for processing these files, or is it NNTPs
>responsability?  Is there a simpler way to deal with them than
>using "cat nntp.a* | rnews"?  Thanks for the information...

Those are partial NNTP in coming spool files.  They are built as nntp is
receiving, and when they reach some size limit (defined in the nntp common.h
file) they are renamed to some name that Cnews' newsrun program finds and
unspools.

The nntp.a* file is left around if your nntpd or your system crashes while
nntp is receiving.  Cnews has a script called "newsboot" or "bootnews" or
something similar that is supposed to be run by /etc/rc that looks for these
leftover turds and renames them so that newsrun will find them the next time
it runs.

--

 == Mark Warren                      Bull HN Information Systems Inc. ==
 == (508) 294-3171 (FAX 671-3020)    300 Concord Road     MS820A      ==

flee@guardian.cs.psu.edu (Felix Lee) (07/21/90)

The nntp.a$$ files can also be left around if the server times out
while talking to a news neighbor.  The NNTP server (1.5.9 and earlier)
doesn't properly finish batch files when a timeout occurs.
--
Felix Lee	flee@cs.psu.edu