[news.software.b] spurious newlines from cnews newsrun

jv@squirrel.mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (07/23/90)

When Cnews "newsrun" is executed it sometimes writes a few empty lines
to standard output. Before I dive into it: is this a known problem or
does it only happen on my system (VAX/Ultrix3.1)?

	Johan
--
Johan Vromans				       jv@mh.nl via internet backbones
Multihouse Automatisering bv		       uucp: ..!{uunet,hp4nl}!mh.nl!jv

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul A Vixie) (07/23/90)

I get extra newlines from newsrun.  On Ultrix, VAX or MIPS, 3.0 or 3.1.
I fixed it by piping the output through "|grep -v '^$'" since Henry said
it had never happened to him.
--
Paul Vixie
DEC Western Research Lab	<vixie@wrl.dec.com>

gamiddle@maytag.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) (07/23/90)

This happens to us too.  I just redirect the output to /dev/null and ignore
it.  I think it has something to do with the BSD shell, but I never had time
to track it down.

cudep@warwick.ac.uk (Ian Dickinson) (07/24/90)

In article <VIXIE.90Jul23015920@volition.pa.dec.com> vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul A Vixie) writes:
>I get extra newlines from newsrun.  On Ultrix, VAX or MIPS, 3.0 or 3.1.
>I fixed it by piping the output through "|grep -v '^$'" since Henry said
>it had never happened to him.

Well it certainly seems to happen to a lot of people.
I get it on Sun and Sequent kit.

I fixed it by ignoring it (!) :-) - it caused me no problems.
--
\/ato.  Ian Dickinson.    GNU's not got BSE.    "Oh MS-DOS! Why don't you tell
vato@cu.warwick.ac.uk          Plinth.           me why the world in which

jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (07/24/90)

In article <VIXIE.90Jul23015920@volition.pa.dec.com> vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul A Vixie) writes:

> I get extra newlines from newsrun.  On Ultrix, VAX or MIPS, 3.0 or 3.1.
> I fixed it by piping the output through "|grep -v '^$'" since Henry said
> it had never happened to him.

Although this is the same "fix" I use, it doesn't fix it. Merely
suppresses the symptom.
Oh well.

	Johan
--

In article <1990Jul23.152014.12332@maytag.waterloo.edu> gamiddle@maytag.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) writes:
>This happens to us too.  I just redirect the output to /dev/null and ignore
>it.  I think it has something to do with the BSD shell, but I never had time
>to track it down.

If anybody does track it down, I'd be curious to know what's causing it.
--
NFS:  all the nice semantics of MSDOS, | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
and its performance and security too.  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

eggert@walrus.twinsun.com (Paul Eggert) (07/25/90)

Is it possible that the spurious newlines arise because newsrun invokes rsh,
the login shell on the remote site is the C shell, and the remote .cshrc
contains a command that outputs newlines?

While I'm on the subject, the following change to newsrun saves two processes
on the remote site, and fixes a comment that isn't quite right.

*** old/newsrun	Thu May 17 15:57:40 1990
--- new/newsrun	Tue Jul 24 18:18:52 1990
***************
*** 114,121 ****
  		then
  			relaynews -r -n <$text
  		else
! 			# N.B.: rsh always returns exit status 0!
! 			rsh $server /bin/sh -c "PATH=$PATH relaynews -r -n" <$text
  		fi
  		st=$?
  		if test $st -ne 0
--- 114,121 ----
  		then
  			relaynews -r -n <$text
  		else
! 			# N.B.: rsh does not yield relaynews's status!
! 			rsh $server exec /bin/sh -c "PATH=$PATH; export PATH; exec relaynews -r -n" <$text
  		fi
  		st=$?
  		if test $st -ne 0

In article <1990Jul25.012912.5927@twinsun.com> eggert@walrus.twinsun.com (Paul Eggert) writes:
>Is it possible that the spurious newlines arise because newsrun invokes rsh,
>the login shell on the remote site is the C shell, and the remote .cshrc
>contains a command that outputs newlines?

It's conceivable, although somebody else will have to find out for sure,
since we are totally ignorant of the C shell and have no intention of
changing that.

>! 			rsh $server /bin/sh -c "PATH=$PATH relaynews -r -n" <$text
>--- 114,121 ----
>! 			rsh $server exec /bin/sh -c "PATH=$PATH; export PATH; exec relaynews -r -n" <$text

Hmmm...  The second exec is a fairly good idea.  The first one depends on
whatever whacko default shell is on the other end having "exec", and I'm
a bit less sure about that.