[news.software.b] C news explist question

datpete@daimi.dk (Peter Andersen) (07/26/90)

I try to keep our local news for a long time, and uses an explist file like

/expired/ x 14     -
/bounds/  x 0-1-90 -
rec,soc,talk,misc,junk x 6 -
local     x 1-60- -
all       x 9    -

What I was wondering about was, if the expiration time of 60 days to the
local news will be honered with "/expired/ x 14". Should it be
"/expired/ x 60" ?

BTW, does "/expired/ x 14" mean that history lines are kept *exactly* 14 days,
or does it mean that they are kept 14 days after the article was expired ?

Peter Andersen

In article <1990Jul26.082948.9522@daimi.dk> datpete@daimi.dk (Peter Andersen) writes:
>I try to keep our local news for a long time, and uses an explist file like
>
>/expired/ x 14     -
>/bounds/  x 0-1-90 -
>rec,soc,talk,misc,junk x 6 -
>local     x 1-60- -
>all       x 9    -
>
>What I was wondering about was, if the expiration time of 60 days to the
>local news will be honered with "/expired/ x 14". Should it be
>"/expired/ x 60" ?

No, the /expired/ line becomes relevant only after the article has expired.
However, I don't think your explist is doing what you want; a re-reading
of the manual page is probably in order.  If you want to keep local news
for 60 days, its time field should be "60", not "1-60".  (Also, please
note that "local" is not a magic word, so this works only if your local
newsgroups have names of the form, say, "local.events".)

>BTW, does "/expired/ x 14" mean that history lines are kept *exactly* 14 days,
>or does it mean that they are kept 14 days after the article was expired ?

They go away 14 days after arrival, not expiry; see the manual page.
--
NFS:  all the nice semantics of MSDOS, | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
and its performance and security too.  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry