[news.software.b] CNEWS errlog.o unsafe message

yale@efi.com (Yale Rosenblatt) (07/30/90)

  I am running CNEWS with the latest patch being 16-APR-1990.
  My errlog.o had this error:

> relaynews: control `kill <1001@merlin.telcom.arizona.edu>' looks unsafe to execute

   Has my sytem already made a decision and gotten rid of this request before
I can look at it to see why it is unsafe? Or is stored somewhere for my
perusal?  Any information would be appreciated.

--
Yale Rosenblatt
Electronics for Imaging

In article <1990Jul30.144820.560@efi.com> yale@efi.com (Yale Rosenblatt) writes:
>> relaynews: control `kill <1001@merlin.telcom.arizona.edu>' looks unsafe to execute
>
>   Has my sytem already made a decision and gotten rid of this request before
>I can look at it to see why it is unsafe? Or is stored somewhere for my
>perusal?  Any information would be appreciated.

Relaynews has refused to execute the request, informing you of why via the
error message.  The news batch has been stored in the "bad" subdirectory
of "in.coming" -- temporarily -- in case you want to examine it.
--
The 486 is to a modern CPU as a Jules  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
Verne reprint is to a modern SF novel. |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

pete@Octopus.COM (Pete Holzmann) (08/01/90)

henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>>> relaynews: control `kill <1001@merlin.telcom.arizona.edu>' looks unsafe to execute
>
>Relaynews has refused to execute the request, informing you of why via the
>error message.  The news batch has been stored in the "bad" subdirectory
>of "in.coming" -- temporarily -- in case you want to examine it.

One more question on this topic: Has the entire batch been tossed, or just
the one message? The wording of the error log usually implies that I'd
better go decompress the bad batch, fix or delete the offending section,
and run it through again. Is it actually safe to simply assume that only
the one bad article has been ignored? [Perhaps it would be good to put
a clearer message in errlog, such as 'article ignored. batch containing
article has been stored in 'bad' directory'... or something like that]

Pete
--
Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises   |(if you're a techie Christian & are
19611 La Mar Ct., Cupertino, CA 95014 |interested in helping w/ the Great

In article <1990Aug1.131649.3531@Octopus.COM> pete@octopus.COM (Pete Holzmann) writes:

>>Relaynews has refused to execute the request...
>> The news batch has been stored in the "bad" subdirectory
>>of "in.coming" -- temporarily -- in case you want to examine it.
>
>One more question on this topic: Has the entire batch been tossed, or just
>the one message? ...

Problems with batching format etc. can toss whole batches, but in this
case it is the content of the article that relaynews is objecting to, and
only that article is affected.