[news.software.b] stopping use of the Path header in replie

kjones@talos.pm.com (Kyle Jones) (08/02/90)

Randal Schwartz writes:
 > No, I like the idea that someone said earlier... if you don't want the
 > Path to be used, put BOGUS!yourhost! in the Path instead of just
 > "yourhost!".  Pretty soon, nobody will be using those things "cuz they
 > always bounce".

I like this idea, too.  Now, if only we could get this into an
official patch to B news and C news distributions...  Whaddaya
say, Geoff, Henry, Rick?

Randal Schwartz writes:
 > No, I like the idea that someone said earlier... if you don't want the
 > Path to be used, put BOGUS!yourhost! in the Path instead of just
 > "yourhost!".  Pretty soon, nobody will be using those things "cuz they
 > always bounce".

  Or you could just add a reply-to line to the header, if your news
reader doesn't do that already. Since I often post from various
machines but want mail on this one, I can always tell if someone has a
brain dead mailer.

  That allows even the brain dead to reply, if you are more interested
in getting information than stopping bad practives.

  I edit the headers strongly with the editor macro which sets my modes
and things for news.

del@thrush.mlb.semi.harris.com (Don Lewis) (08/03/90)

In article <2382@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:
>os.pm.com>
>
>Randal Schwartz writes:
> > No, I like the idea that someone said earlier... if you don't want the
> > Path to be used, put BOGUS!yourhost! in the Path instead of just
> > "yourhost!".  Pretty soon, nobody will be using those things "cuz they
> > always bounce".
>
>  Or you could just add a reply-to line to the header, if your news
>reader doesn't do that already. Since I often post from various
>machines but want mail on this one, I can always tell if someone has a
>brain dead mailer.
>
>  That allows even the brain dead to reply, if you are more interested
>in getting information than stopping bad practives.

If you compile rn without the INTERNET option, it will always use the
are going to use the INTERNET option?
--
Don "Truck" Lewis                      Harris Semiconductor
Internet:  del@mlb.semi.harris.com     PO Box 883   MS 62A-028

In article <1990Aug2.134734.15570@talos.pm.com> kjones@talos.pm.com (Kyle Jones) writes:
> > No, I like the idea that someone said earlier... if you don't want the
> > Path to be used, put BOGUS!yourhost! in the Path instead of just
> > "yourhost!".  Pretty soon, nobody will be using those things "cuz they
> > always bounce".
>
>I like this idea, too.  Now, if only we could get this into an
>official patch to B news and C news distributions...  Whaddaya
>say, Geoff, Henry, Rick?

I'm only gonna say this once more:  we don't break things just because
people think it would be neat to bully others into upgrading their software.

We're quite willing to say "for technical reason X, we are making this
change, and people with ancient software can upgrade or suffer", but X
has to exist.  Deliberately breaking things just to force upgrades strikes
us as the equivalent of sticking nails in the tires of your neighbor's
1963 Cadillac because you disapprove of its EPA mileage rating.

If Path lines are as useless for replies as some people claim, the practice
of using them for replies will go away by itself.  If they remain useful,
why not let the disadvantaged keep using them?  They have to be there for
loop breaking anyway.
--
The 486 is to a modern CPU as a Jules  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
Verne reprint is to a modern SF novel. |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

wisner@hayes.fai.alaska.edu (Bill Wisner) (08/04/90)

I've occasionally considered modifying my news software to make it use
some seperator other than ! in the Path line, which was legal when
last I read the RFCs. Unlike Henry Spencer, USENET guerrilla warfare
doesn't bother me too much.

Bill Wisner <wisner@hayes.fai.alaska.edu> Gryphon Gang Fairbanks AK 99775
"Nice attitude, Wisner." -- Russ "Random" Smith <russ@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu>

david@monymsys.uucp (David Kozinn) (08/04/90)

In article <1990Aug3.011037.4579@mlb.semi.harris.com> del@thrush.mlb.semi.harris.com (Don Lewis) writes:

>If you compile rn without the INTERNET option, it will always use the
>are going to use the INTERNET option?

Sites that are running smail or sendmail who don't happen to have an Internet
connection. I do this myself, and I'm uucp-only. I doubt that I'm unique.

--
David Kozinn                     | UUCP:   uunet!vmp!monymsys!david
MONY Financial Services MD 75-14 | Domain: monymsys!david@vmp.com

--

mills@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Gary Mills) (08/05/90)

henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

>I'm only gonna say this once more:  we don't break things just because
>people think it would be neat to bully others into upgrading their software.

Okay, I agree that it would be irresponsible for us to generate bogus Path
headers.  Somebody might even invent a filter to remove the bogus parts

>If Path lines are as useless for replies as some people claim, the practice
>of using them for replies will go away by itself.

I once discovered somebody gatewaying news articles into an e-mail
distribution list and rebuilding the `From:' lines from the Path header.
When I complained to the postmaster there that he was throwing away our
nice domain address and substituting an unreplyable path, he said he had
to do that because most of the From and Reply-To headers were bogus because
they just said user@host.uucp.  So, there are lots of things to fix to
make replies work.
--
-Gary Mills-             -University of Manitoba-             -Winnipeg-

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (08/06/90)

>I once discovered somebody gatewaying news articles into an e-mail
>distribution list and rebuilding the `From:' lines from the Path header.
>When I complained to the postmaster there that he was throwing away our
>nice domain address and substituting an unreplyable path, he said he had
>to do that because most of the From and Reply-To headers were bogus because
>they just said user@host.uucp.  So, there are lots of things to fix to
>make replies work.

But user@host.uucp works in many, if not most cases.  We have all the
tools to fix things up (like maps, etc.) -- we just need to use them.

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com