[news.software.b] Time for 8 bit news, isn't it?

hurtta@cs.Helsinki.FI (Kari Hurtta) (08/07/90)

In article <11932@socslgw.csl.sony.co.jp> kono@csl.sony.co.jp (Shinji Kono) writes:

   <... stuff deleted...>

   In article <1092@mpirbn.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de>  , p576spz@mpirbn.UUCP (S.Petra Zeidler)writes
   > To what amounts would the cost of changing to 8 bit be ?
   > Would it be the transition of maintenance barely affordable to not affordable ??

   <... stuff deleted...>

   BTW, What do you mean in 8bit char? If it means IBM-PC's system, I
   don't like it. I think it is not difficult to write 7bit French to
   8bit IBM-PC. But many Unix programs (Ex. sendmail, grep, tip, roff or
   PostScript) simply cut off 8th bit. Personally I think these programs
   should accept 8bit char and it is  good for us. But usually 7bit with
   Introducing sequence is easy to use in Unix.

Maybe iso8859 character set. At least, it is standard.

--
Name:    Kari Hurtta
Address: hurtta@cs,Helsinki.FI, hurtta@cc.Helsinki.FI, hurtta@FINUH