[news.software.b] C News version deficient

heiby@mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com (Ron Heiby) (08/07/90)

I use the "version" control message to keep track of the systems that
are receiving various internal newsgroup hierarchies.  On the latest
such survey, I happened to notice a C News site responding to the
control message.  I also noticed that it did not include the header
line, "Responding-System:".  I understand that this is probably one of
those things that was never documented about B News, but it sure is
handy to be able to simply grep through the saved responses to the
version control and get a list of site names.  The particular site I
found reports that it is running, "C News - Patchdate 25-May-1990".
Thanks much.
--
Ron Heiby, heiby@chg.mcd.mot.com	Moderator: comp.newprod
"Mandatory Drug Testing?  Just Say NO!!!"

In article <42645@mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com> heiby@mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com (Ron Heiby) writes:
>I use the "version" control message to keep track of the systems that
>are receiving various internal newsgroup hierarchies.  On the latest
>such survey, I happened to notice a C News site responding to the
>control message.  I also noticed that it did not include the header
>line, "Responding-System:"...

Some overhaul of the "version" control message is indeed planned.  You
are correct in thinking that Responding-System was undocumented. :-)
--
The 486 is to a modern CPU as a Jules  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
Verne reprint is to a modern SF novel. |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry