	To: cornell!rutgers!comp-sys-ibm-pc-digest
	From: alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle)
	Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest
	Subject: Mac mail systems & file transport
	Date: 25 Jul 90 03:43:42 GMT

Software here is cnews 10-Jan-1990 and nn 6.4.9.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
--
		- Liz Allen-Mitchell	liz@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us
					ames!elroy!grian!liz

liz@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Liz Allen-Mitchell) (08/07/90)

I mucked through some old history files and found that the article
cross-posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest and comp.sys.mac.apps *did* get
posted locally to comp.sys.mac.apps...  As far as I can tell,
comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest was marked moderated at the time -- it was a
few days before and a few days after the posting date.  The article
was also not posted locally to comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest.  The line in
the history file has no mention of comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest:

<1990Jul25.034342.2996@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us>
	648877432~-	comp.sys.mac.apps/830

(I wrapped it.)

Unfortunately, the log files are gone.

Now, the questions is: why did it go into comp.sys.mac.apps?

Earlier today, I tried crossposting to two test groups -- one moderated
and one not -- and the article was not posted; just mailed.
--
		- Liz Allen-Mitchell	liz@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us
					ames!elroy!grian!liz
"God is light; in him there is no darkness at all." -- 1 John 1:5b

liz@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Liz Allen-Mitchell) (08/08/90)

Sorry about all these postings -- this has been quite a mystery to
me...

More information on the crossposted article that flooded the moderator
of comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest...

I got the original copy of the article off a backup tape; the headers
are:

	Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.apps, comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest
	From: alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle)
	Date: Wed, 25 Jul 90 03:43:42 GMT

I suspect the problem is that little space in the Newsgroups header
between the newsgroups names.  Some clever system somewhere stripped
the space out and caused the article to bounce all over creation...
Does that sound right to those of you who know the software better
than me?

I wonder what the fix for this is!  I could change my inews, but then
I would cause such articles generated on other systems to bounce the
same way.  Perhaps inews should only mail unapproved aritcles that
were not created locally?

Perhaps nn could be modified to strip out the space before posting the
article, too.
--

In article <1990Aug7.184503.24708@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us> liz@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Liz Allen-Mitchell) writes:
>I suspect the problem is that little space in the Newsgroups header
>between the newsgroups names...

Hm.  Hmmmmmmm.  At some stage, this should have been either interpreted
"correctly" or bounced, and as you found out, it does neither.  This we
will have to fix.  Geoff will have to decide how.  RFC1036 is completely
silent on the matter.

>I wonder what the fix for this is!  I could change my inews, but then
>I would cause such articles generated on other systems to bounce the
>same way...

No, under C News, inews gets run only for local articles.

>Perhaps inews should only mail unapproved aritcles that
>were not created locally?

Um, I'm not sure what you're saying here, unless you meant to leave out
that "not".  We decided, after considerable head-scratching, that it was
not a kindness for an incoming article (from another site) to be mailed
to the moderator.  Relaynews, which is what handles incoming traffic from
other sites, simply discards unapproved articles in moderated groups.  It
is inews's responsibility to do something more intelligent with local
postings to such groups.
--
The 486 is to a modern CPU as a Jules  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
Verne reprint is to a modern SF novel. |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry