[news.software.b] ../bad/files

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (08/06/90)

Am I correct that *any* kind of error encountered during the processing of
incoming news will cause the deposition of the incoming batch file into
../bad?  I have a number of files in my bad directory that, on the face of it,
don't appear bad in any way.  Some of the lines in my error log are as follows:

relaynews: error writing `/usr/local/lib/news/Cnews/ctl/history', probably the disk filled (File too large)
relaynews: article <1990Aug1.094324.3392@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> short by 1227 bytes
relaynews: error closing history file

Now, i can see that the short article would cause the deposition, but what can
i do about the history file being too large (disk filled)?  Can i simply move
the batches in bad back in to the in.coming directory and rerun newsrun?

Do "bad" newsgroups cause files to be deposited in bad?  I always have *some*
bad newsgroups and thus it seems that i always have several thousand blocks
worth of bad files in bad/.

derek
--
Derek Terveer						det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG
Minnesota Field Hockey Association,  North Central Section

In article <1990Aug6.040756.9115@hawkmoon.MN.ORG> det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) writes:
>Am I correct that *any* kind of error encountered during the processing of
>incoming news will cause the deposition of the incoming batch file into
>../bad?  ...

Pretty much so.  The exit status returned by relaynews is complex and
not very useful, so newsrun just gives up and puts stuff in "bad" any
time something goes wrong.  What it ought to do is abort processing
entirely, leaving the batch where it is, when a disk fills or something
like that, while shifting stuff into bad when something about that
specific batch caused trouble.  I've been harassing Geoff about this
for some time, and there is hope for more useful exit status in future,
which would permit doing this.

>...i can see that the short article would cause the deposition, but what can
>i do about the history file being too large (disk filled)?  Can i simply move
>the batches in bad back in to the in.coming directory and rerun newsrun?

In general, doing that is always acceptable.  Articles that have already
been processed cleanly will simply be rejected as duplicates, which is
quick and harmless.

>Do "bad" newsgroups cause files to be deposited in bad?...

In general, no.  This is considered a lesser level of problem (there is
always trash on the net) and relaynews does not report it with an exit
status.
--
The 486 is to a modern CPU as a Jules  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
Verne reprint is to a modern SF novel. |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

art@pilikia.pegasus.com (Art Neilson) (08/09/90)

In article <1990Aug6.040756.9115@hawkmoon.MN.ORG> det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) writes:
>Am I correct that *any* kind of error encountered during the processing of
>incoming news will cause the deposition of the incoming batch file into
>../bad?  I have a number of files in my bad directory that, on the face of it,

Yes.

>relaynews: error writing `/usr/local/lib/news/Cnews/ctl/history', probably the disk filled (File too large)
>relaynews: article <1990Aug1.094324.3392@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> short by 1227 bytes
>relaynews: error closing history file
>
>Now, i can see that the short article would cause the deposition, but what can
>i do about the history file being too large (disk filled)?  Can i simply move
>the batches in bad back in to the in.coming directory and rerun newsrun?

You should make some room in the filesystem first, yes you can simply move
the files from in.coming/bad up into in.coming and fire off newsrun.  Expire
rebuilds the history database, the explist file controls expiry of your various
newsgroups.  It's up to you to tweak it according to your needs.  doexpire
should be run nightly via cron.

>Do "bad" newsgroups cause files to be deposited in bad?  I always have *some*
>bad newsgroups and thus it seems that i always have several thousand blocks
>worth of bad files in bad/.

What do you mean by "bad" ?  bad batches are received batches which newsrun
(relaynews) rejects, they are moved from in.coming to in.coming/bad.  Articles
destined for non-existent newsgroups (not in active) wind up in the newsgroup
junk, I'd call that a "bad" newsgroup.
--
Arthur W. Neilson III		| ARPA: art@pilikia.pegasus.com
Bank of Hawaii Tech Support	| UUCP: uunet!ucsd!nosc!pegasus!pilikia!art