[news.software.b] trn thread files are not portable

del@thrush.mlb.semi.harris.com (Don Lewis) (08/08/90)

The trn thread files are not portable between host architectures.
Because of structure padding differences, they are not even portable
between Sun 3's and 4's.
--
Don "Truck" Lewis                      Harris Semiconductor
Internet:  del@mlb.semi.harris.com     PO Box 883   MS 62A-028

davison%drivax@uunet.uu.net (Wayne Davison) (08/10/90)

del@thrush.mlb.semi.harris.com (Don Lewis) wrote:
> The trn thread files are not portable between host architectures.
> Because of structure padding differences, they are not even portable
> between Sun 3's and 4's.

Structure padding is a problem at present, but architectures that differ in
byte-order are fully supported.

I only found out about the structure-padding problem from one of my Sun beta
sites this week.  None of them had previously tried a Sun 4 installation,
unfortunately.  I'm working on a fix.
--
Wayne Davison            \  /| / /|\/ /| /(_)     davison%drivax@uunet.uu.net
davison@drivax.UUCP     (_)/ |/ /\|/ / |/  \         ...!uunet!drivax!davison

karish@mindcrf.UUCP (08/10/90)

In article <1990Aug8.110435.23507@mlb.semi.harris.com>
del@thrush.mlb.semi.harris.com (Don Lewis) writes:

>The trn thread files are not portable between host architectures.
>Because of structure padding differences, they are not even portable
>between Sun 3's and 4's.

    This is a botch that's worth fixing.  It'll make it a lot more
    hassle to use trn on NFS-mounted news spools.
--

	Chuck Karish		karish@mindcraft.com
	Mindcraft, Inc.		(415) 323-9000

davison%drivax@uunet.uu.net (Wayne Davison) (08/11/90)

Wayne Davison (davison%drivax@uunet.uu.net) wrote:
> None of [my beta sites] had previously tried a Sun 4 installation,
> unfortunately.

I badly misspoke here -- I have multiple Sun 4 installations among my beta
sites, just none that tried to share thread files between their Sun 3 and
Sun 4 systems.