[news.software.b] C News - x'd newsgroups

cathyf@rice.edu (Catherine A. Foulston) (08/09/90)

As I understand the 'x' feature in C News' active file, adding a group
with x causes articles for that group to be quietly dropped.  This is
good.  But if I addgroup alt.bogus x, then rrn users get asked if they
would like to subscribe to alt.bogus.  This is bad.  If I add a group
with x, there's no point in anyone subscribing, since there won't be any
articles, and I don't want people to be asked anyway, because if I'm not
creating alt.bogus it's probably because I think it's a waste of their
time anyway.
	Have I got something set up wrong, or is this supposed to work
like this?  If this is normal does anybody know a way around it?  Thanks.
Oh yeah, latest C News and nntp 1.5.8 (no readers on the server itself).

	Cathy
--
Cathy Foulston + cathyf@rice.edu + Rice University, Network & Systems Support

In article <10358@brazos.Rice.edu> cathyf@brazos.rice.edu (Catherine A. Foulston) writes:
>As I understand the 'x' feature in C News' active file, adding a group
>with x causes articles for that group to be quietly dropped.  This is
>good.  But if I addgroup alt.bogus x, then rrn users get asked if they
>would like to subscribe to alt.bogus...

This is really an NNTP problem -- it needs to refrain from listing such
groups as available when they aren't.  The code for NNTP's LIST command
(and friends) needs to be a bit more sophisticated.
--
The 486 is to a modern CPU as a Jules  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
Verne reprint is to a modern SF novel. |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

del@thrush.mlb.semi.harris.com (Don Lewis) (08/09/90)

In article <10358@brazos.Rice.edu> cathyf@brazos.rice.edu (Catherine A. Foulston) writes:
>As I understand the 'x' feature in C News' active file, adding a group
>with x causes articles for that group to be quietly dropped.  This is
>good.  But if I addgroup alt.bogus x, then rrn users get asked if they
>would like to subscribe to alt.bogus.  This is bad.  If I add a group
>with x, there's no point in anyone subscribing, since there won't be any
>articles, and I don't want people to be asked anyway, because if I'm not
>creating alt.bogus it's probably because I think it's a waste of their
>time anyway.
>	Have I got something set up wrong, or is this supposed to work
>like this?  If this is normal does anybody know a way around it?  Thanks.
>Oh yeah, latest C News and nntp 1.5.8 (no readers on the server itself).

"addgroup alt.bogus x" shouldn't put an entry in the active.times file.
As a workaround, you can delete this entry.
--
Don "Truck" Lewis                      Harris Semiconductor
Internet:  del@mlb.semi.harris.com     PO Box 883   MS 62A-028

sob@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (Stan Barber) (08/12/90)

In article <1990Aug8.235808.7567@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>This is really an NNTP problem -- it needs to refrain from listing such
>groups as available when they aren't.  The code for NNTP's LIST command
>(and friends) needs to be a bit more sophisticated.

Well Henry, NNTP 1.6 will have some of this sophistication. I expect that
NNTP 1.6 will only provide things in the active file list that the nntp_access
file sez the user can see. I will add the "x" stuff to with wish list as well.

[NNTP 1.5.10 will be released shortly after the 1st of September, so this
feature will NOT be in the NEXT release of NNTP.]

--
Stan           internet: sob@bcm.tmc.edu         Director, Networking
Olan           uucp: {rutgers,mailrus}!bcm!sob   and Systems Support

In article <1613@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> sob@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (Stan Barber) writes:
>>This is really an NNTP problem -- it needs to refrain from listing such
>>groups as available when they aren't...
>
>Well Henry, NNTP 1.6 will have some of this ...

In fairness to Stan, I should note that this is a case where the specs :-)
changed underfoot:  NNTP doesn't deal with the situation because B News
didn't have 'x'.
--
It is not possible to both understand  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
and appreciate Intel CPUs. -D.Wolfskill|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry