[news.software.b] Trn discussions better suited to mailing list?

domo@tsa.co.uk (Dominic Dunlop) (08/10/90)

First off, this type of posting has been known to be counter-productive
through the spawning of a lot of traffic discussing the posting.  Can I ask
you to post responses ONLY if you're currently using trn?  (I'm not.)
Thanks.

I'm glad to see that trn has reached the stage of being beaten on by
sites public-spirited enough to nominate themselves as testers.  Thanks to
all concerned.  I'll just sit back and reap the benefits later -- as, I'm
sure, will many readers of this newsgroup!

However, IMHO, the comparatively small number of sites doing this testing
would be better served by a mail list rather than by posting to this
newsgroup.  It just is not necessary to discuss in public the problems
which the testing is indended to bring to light: the public just doesn't
need to know!  Once the test sites have done their worst, and trn is
officially posted, then will be the time to start discussing its subtleties
in this forum.
--
Dominic Dunlop

pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu (Paul Graham) (08/11/90)

domo@tsa.co.uk (Dominic Dunlop) writes:
|Once the test sites have done their worst, and trn is
|officially posted, then will be the time to start discussing its subtleties
|in this forum.

while the difference may be subtle . . . although trn has not yet been
posted by rich salz it has been released to the public after a long test
period (which didn't, of course, catch all the bugs) and what we're
discussing is the first release version.

not that it might not be better to continue the discussion via email.  i
presume wayne has such a list of the beta test sites.

you can get ftp.acsu.buffalo.edu:pub/trn.tar.Z  whenever you want.

mathisen@dali.cs.montana.edu (Jaye Mathisen) (08/13/90)

In article <1990Aug10.112524.14030@tsa.co.uk> domo@tsa.co.uk (Dominic Dunlop) writes:
>However, IMHO, the comparatively small number of sites doing this testing
>would be better served by a mail list rather than by posting to this

Actually, I ran the mailing list during the beta test...  I don't think a
requirement for a package to be discussed should be that it has to come
from a sources newsgroup...  As to small number of sites, 110+ different
sites have ftp'd it from caesar.cs.montana.edu in the last week, and I don't
know how many have snarfed it up from the other sites like uunet and stuff...

Leave the discussion in this newsgroup.

rdc30med@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (LCDR Michael E. Dobson) (08/13/90)

In article <1990Aug10.112524.14030@tsa.co.uk> domo@tsa.co.uk (Dominic Dunlop) writes:

>However, IMHO, the comparatively small number of sites doing this testing
>would be better served by a mail list rather than by posting to this
>newsgroup.  It just is not necessary to discuss in public the problems

How is this to be done?  I pulled my copy of trn from one of the announced
ftp sites, how is Wayne suposed to know I'm using it and put me on the
mailing list?  I think there are more than a few sites now using it.

>which the testing is indended to bring to light: the public just doesn't
>need to know!  Once the test sites have done their worst, and trn is

 I disagree.  Having faults discussed in a public forum will allow various
news admins todecide if they wish to bring it up now or later.  Based on just
these types of discussions, I decided it was mature enough to install for my
users (who love it BTW). I am not an alpha or beta site (officially).

>officially posted, then will be the time to start discussing its subtleties
>in this forum.

Unless I missed something, it has been officially posted.  It was announced as
having been submitted to comp.sources.unix with follow-up postings giving at
least two ftp sites where it could be obtained for the impatient.
--
Mike Dobson, Sys Admin for      | Internet: rdc30med@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil
nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil      | UUCP:   ...uunet!mimsy!nmrdc1!rdc30med