[news.software.b] Upgrading Usenet

amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (08/06/90)

In article <1990Aug04.171540.29439@looking.on.ca>, brad@looking.on.ca (Brad
Templeton) writes:
> The problem is that the net is not a NEW and powerful idea.  I've been
> on it just shy of a decade myself.  In the world of computer networking,
> a decade is almost forever.

Indeed.  This net is new to a great many people, by virtue of its growth,
but that very size has given it a huge supply of inertia.  I remember the
A News to B News changeover in '81-'82, and it was a royal pain, even though
Usenet was *much* smaller then, and was still thought of as an experiment.

With the state of the net as it is today, I don't think that any major
changes are really possible, except by building something better that
renders Usenet obsolete.  Look at C news--it's ingratiatingly compatible
with B news, and the only people that seem to be picking up on it are us
performance weenies out here :-).  It's only gaining widespread acceptance
very slowly, and that only because it's a fairly "invisible" upgrade.  I
don't think that any kind of format change, even one as small as Brad's
Favorite Headers (tm), is going to catch on, however useful it may be.

Too many people see Usenet as it is to be "useful enough," and don't see
any reason to change until there is already something better in place and
working.  It's annoying in some respects, but I haven't seen any contrary
evidence so far.

Anyone have "wish lists" for a kinder, gentler Usenet, assuming backward
compatibility isn't an issue?

--
Amanda Walker <amanda@intercon.com>
InterCon Systems Corporation

In article <26BCDA30.21C@intercon.com> amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) writes:
>... Look at C news--it's ingratiatingly compatible
>with B news, and the only people that seem to be picking up on it are us
>performance weenies out here :-).  It's only gaining widespread acceptance
>very slowly, and that only because it's a fairly "invisible" upgrade...

Actually C News isn't doing too badly; based on analysis of message-IDs
in our history file, C News is running at 600+ sites, about 12% of the
active subset of Usenet.  This method inherently can't measure the
passive subset -- the sites that rarely or never post anything -- but
we know C News gets substantial use among them too.  (The rest of the
active subset is currently split about 50-50 between B News sites and
sites generating weird message-IDs that aren't obviously either B or C.
There is no single dominant form of weirdness. :-))  Both the count
and the percentage for C News are growing steadily.

However... Amanda is right, steady it may be, but it's also slow.
It would probably be somewhat faster if we were sysadmin-compatible
with B News, because learning new procedures increases the conversion
effort.  This bodes ill for any change that involves incompatibility
of a more serious kind.  Yes, a lot of this is sheer inertia, as
witness the sites that are still running B2.6, but each obstacle to
conversion greatly magnifies that inertia.  A seriously-incompatible
news system will have little chance unless it offers really major
benefits to make up for the hassle.
--
The 486 is to a modern CPU as a Jules  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
Verne reprint is to a modern SF novel. |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (08/08/90)

gee henry, there are a lot of known bugs in B News that cause it to
dump core or something like that.  just flood the net regularly and
predictably with these articles and it should wipe out the worst
of the sites pretty quick.

Just make sure C News passes the torture test....

--Ed

Edward Vielmetti, U of Michigan math dept <emv@math.lsa.umich.edu>

fitz@wang.com (Tom Fitzgerald) (08/09/90)

henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
> based on analysis of message-IDs
> in our history file, C News is running at 600+ sites, about 12% of the
> active subset of Usenet.

This is probably a serious underestimate, given the number of sites who:

- Are running mail-to-news gateways and use the mailmessage's Message-ID in
  the article.

- Don't like C-news's super-jumbo message IDs, and have modified inews to
  generate something more concise (like us).

Also, don't some NNTP posting agents generate their own message-IDs in
the posting program, rather then on the NNTP server?  This would hide
another population of C-news sites.

---
Tom Fitzgerald   Wang Labs        fitz@wang.com
1-508-967-5278   Lowell MA, USA   ...!uunet!wang!fitz

In article <ar37h5.c50@wang.com> fitz@wang.com (Tom Fitzgerald) writes:
>This is probably a serious underestimate...
>... mail-to-news gateways ...
>...[avoidance of] super-jumbo message IDs...
>... NNTP posting agents ...

Yes, it's very difficult to assess these things.  However, message-ID
analysis has the enormous virtue that it's quite cheap, unlike the fairly
drastic step of sending out a "version" control message.  Message-IDs only
give us a sample of the net, rather than a complete census, but it's
something we can afford to do regularly for trend tracking.  If we're
feeling masochistic some time, we may try a "version" message to try to
measure the sampling error. :-)

It's always going to be difficult to figure out what's running at sites
whose news traffic is gatewayed through from other software -- be it mail
or NNTP -- that generates its own message-IDs.  The super-jumbo-ID problem
will be reduced somewhat when we start using a more compact ID format (it's
coming), although we do plan to continue making the IDs distinct enough
for this sort of analysis.
--
It is not possible to both understand  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
and appreciate Intel CPUs. -D.Wolfskill|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

tanner@cdis-1.compu.com (Dr. T. Andrews) (08/09/90)

In article <1990Aug7.180710.3872@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
) Actually C News isn't doing too badly; based on analysis of
) message-IDs in our history file, C News is running at 600+ sites,
And even this may be mis-leading.  We run C news, but I'll be
dipped if my machines are going to generate C news message-IDs
which read like Russian novels.  Just look at the references
header!

I'll send the "seq" program which generates these 7-char IDs
(a 32-bit number expressed in base 36) to anyone who applies.
I'll include with the one-line change to the "anne.jones" script.
--
uflorida!ki4pv!cdis-1!tanner {uunet dsinc}!cdin-1!cdis-1!tanner

michael@fts1.uucp (Michael Richardson) (08/15/90)

In article <1990Aug7.180710.3872@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <26BCDA30.21C@intercon.com> amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) writes:
>Actually C News isn't doing too badly; based on analysis of message-IDs
>in our history file, C News is running at 600+ sites, about 12% of the

>sites generating weird message-IDs that aren't obviously either B or C.

  Hmm. UUPC and AmigaUUCP variants perhaps?
  Actually, I think most AmigaUUCP's would get counted as BNews.

>It would probably be somewhat faster if we were sysadmin-compatible
>with B News, because learning new procedures increases the conversion
>effort.  This bodes ill for any change that involves incompatibility
>of a more serious kind.  Yes, a lot of this is sheer inertia, as

  Well, I found the C news batching system slightly incomprehensible,
or maybe I couldn't figure out how to do what I wanted... I stuck
to 'nbatcher' which I understand quite well.  So I'm sort of C news
with B+ News (given than nbatcher enhanced B news' sendbatches )
  Do the C News batchers strip the 'Xref' or is the receiving system
supposed to strip it (if it were a C News system, it would obviously
do so). Not really a problem, my downfeed's just found it a little
strange..

--
   :!mcr!:            | < political commentary currently undergoing Senate >
   Michael Richardson | < committee review. Returning next house session.  >

In article <1990Aug14.181725.9003@fts1.uucp> michael@fts1.uucp (Michael Richardson) writes:
>  Do the C News batchers strip the 'Xref' or is the receiving system
>supposed to strip it (if it were a C News system, it would obviously
>do so). Not really a problem, my downfeed's just found it a little
>strange..

Theoretically, Xref is not supposed to be transmitted.  In fact, every
news system I am aware of sends it, expecting the destination system
to strip, ignore, or rebuild the header.  This is mentioned in our
notebook/rfcerrata document.