[news.software.b] Running C-news sans database?

stealth@caen.engin.umich.edu (Mike Pelletier) (08/17/90)

I'm wondering how to go about running C-news without using the DBM
or DBZ files.  I only have one feed, so duplicate articles are not
a problem, but diskspace certainly is.  Any suggestions on procedure?

Thanks...

--
Michael V. Pelletier            | "We live our lives with our hands on the
 CAEN UseNet News Administrator |  rear-view mirror, striving to get a better

In article <1990Aug16.204624.2609@caen.engin.umich.edu> stealth@caen.engin.umich.edu (Mike Pelletier) writes:
>I'm wondering how to go about running C-news without using the DBM
>or DBZ files.  I only have one feed, so duplicate articles are not
>a problem, but diskspace certainly is.  Any suggestions on procedure?

Difficult to arrange, and not really much help if you run dbz.  The
dbz file is about 5 bytes per history-file line, so the text file is
much larger than the dbz index into it.  You can't get rid of the
text file if you want expire to work, and the text file is in any
case only one line per article, so the articles themselves are the
dominant space cost.  This is true even with dbm, actually.
--
It is not possible to both understand  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
and appreciate Intel CPUs. -D.Wolfskill|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry