[news.software.b] Where to start?

lwv27@CAS.BITNET (08/16/90)

If a site was going to try to bring up a fresh new news installation,
BUT they are currently running a very old version of B News (version
x.y.z) AND it isnt quite working right anyways... where should they
start?

If a site just blows away the active and history files, then users will
get bent all out of shape.  If they dont, will things not get pretty
messed up?

Some other data points:

This is a MicroVax running Ultrix 2.2 right now.  The news is then
NNTP'd on a LAN which is restricted to a few local ether segments.

Which News software - B, C, or 3.0, would be best to run on a MicroVax
with approx. 300 or more NNTP users running against it?

It currently gets batches in over a modem, but Ethernet delivery
is likely to appear in the future.
--
Larry W. Virden
Business: UUCP: osu-cis!chemabs!lwv27  INET: lwv27%cas.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu

In article <9008161603.AA28047@jade.berkeley.edu> lwv27@CAS.BITNET writes:
>If a site just blows away the active and history files, then users will
>get bent all out of shape.  If they dont, will things not get pretty
>messed up?

You don't want to blow away active; there is information there that
is difficult to recover.  You may want to rebuild the history file
from scratch to make sure it's right.

>Which News software - B, C, or 3.0, would be best to run on a MicroVax
>with approx. 300 or more NNTP users running against it?

C News definitely takes the prize on performance, but it will need some
getting used to, as it is not sysadmin-compatible with B News.  3.0 is
not a realistic competitor for production use at the moment, as it's still
under development.  (It's not sysadmin-compatible either, and I believe
it has incompatibilities at the reader interface too, which C News does
not.)
--
It is not possible to both understand  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
and appreciate Intel CPUs. -D.Wolfskill|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry