[news.software.b] Problems with unwanted news groups

michi@ptcburp.ptcbu.oz.au (Michael Henning) (08/13/90)

Sorry if this has been asked before...

Our feed site sends us some groups we don't want to keep on disk. For various
reasons, we cannot stop them from sending us those groups.

Rather than expiring those groups quickly, I tried to exclude them in the
sys file entry for our site, e.g.:

ptcburp:world,!soc::

The articles for soc now all end up in junk, where they still consume disk
space. Does anyone know how to convince news to throw them into the bit
bucket, rather than moving all these articles into junk ?

					Michi.

jgabriel@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Juan Gabriel Ruiz Pinto) (08/17/90)

> Sorry if this has been asked before...

> Our feed site sends us some groups we don't want to keep on disk. For various
> reasons, we cannot stop them from sending us those groups.

     An option is that you tell your news feed just send the
    groups you want, the news administrator at your news feed
    can add in his sys file, the negations of the groups you
    don't want, i.e. !soc, etc..

       Hope this helps...
--
*****   Greetings from Mexico!   *****
Juan Gabriel Ruiz Pinto                   Internet:

darryl@lemuria.MV.COM (Darryl Wagoner) (08/22/90)

In article <JGABRIEL.90Aug16174808@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx> jgabriel@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Juan Gabriel Ruiz Pinto) writes:

>> Our feed site sends us some groups we don't want to keep on disk. For various
>> reasons, we cannot stop them from sending us those groups.
>
>     An option is that you tell your news feed just send the
>    groups you want, the news administrator at your news feed
>    can add in his sys file, the negations of the groups you

This could lead to very large sys entries, which can cause problems.
Plus you have to bug your feeder admin to change it any time that you
want to add or delete a group.

On Cnews, and I beleive on B news, you can change the forth field of the
active file to 'x' and it will discard that group.  I just found out
about it myself when I upgraded to Cnews.

Good luck!

--
Darryl Wagoner		darryl@lemuria.MV.COM or uunet!virgin!lemuria!darryl
12 Oak Hill Road

The simpler system is to use my dynamic feeder.  I have been running it as
the main feed for my own site, as well as the outgoing feeder for 3 ClariNet
sites, for some time now and it seems to be working.

So it's time for beta test?   To test you need a cooperative feed site and
(one assumes) the cooperation of the recipient.  Of course, in many cases
insitagation of the use of this program would come from the recipient, so in
practice you need both.

I will leave a preliminary distribution on uunet for ftp shortly, and will
post here about it.

It has certainly cut down my disk space needs and transmission times.  It
is nice to see 'junk' almost empty, except for postings in very new groups that
I haven't bothered to create.