[news.software.b] Anyone got a cnews inews written in C?

leres@ace.ee.lbl.gov (Craig Leres) (08/25/90)

The cnews inews seems like a maintenance nightmare and I believe it to
be the weakest link in the cnews distribution. Not only is it slow, but
it's nearly impossible to debug. Has anyone written a C version?
Considering all the nice library routines cnews provides, this seems
like a natural.

		Craig

In article <6658@dog.ee.lbl.gov> leres@helios.ee.lbl.gov (ucbvax!leres for uucp weenies) writes:
>The cnews inews seems like a maintenance nightmare and I believe it to
>be the weakest link in the cnews distribution. Not only is it slow, but
>it's nearly impossible to debug. Has anyone written a C version?

Geoff is working on a mostly-C version, actually.  Inews originally seemed
like a natural application for the shell, since it's fully of "policy" code
that people might like to customize.  Unfortunately, it's now too big and
complex for that to be a realistic thing to do, and slow to boot.  (Not
impossibly slow, but enough so to be annoying on slow machines.)  He
decided some time ago that a reimplementation was in order.  (Note, he
is reimplementing, not just mechanically translating into C, which is
why it's taking a while.)
--
Committees do harm merely by existing. | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                       -Freeman Dyson  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

In article <1990Aug25.043752.19589@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

| Geoff is working on a mostly-C version, actually.  Inews originally seemed
| like a natural application for the shell, since it's fully of "policy" code
| that people might like to customize.  Unfortunately, it's now too big and
| complex for that to be a realistic thing to do, and slow to boot.

  I think both the original decision and the change were/are the correct
decision at the time. I really would like to see a nice *text* file with
the control stuff, and a C program to do the work. I assume that this is
what you mean by "mostly C".
    VMS is a text-only adventure game. If you win you can use unix.

In article <2464@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.com (bill davidsen) writes:
>... I really would like to see a nice *text* file with
>the control stuff, and a C program to do the work. I assume that this is
>what you mean by "mostly C".

That's the intent, yes.
--
TCP/IP: handling tomorrow's loads today |Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
OSI: handling yesterday's loads tomorrow|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry