[news.software.b] Multi filesystems Cnews ?

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (08/24/90)

Well someone just posted a patch for Bnews to enable it to spread
its articles over a couple of filesystems.  This is necessary on
System V because of a 64k inode limit it imposes.

Has anyone done this for Cnews?  Or does anyone have any tips or
pointers on how best to procede?

I've got 300megs set aside for news, but I can only use about 180megs
before I run out of inodes. :-(

Thanks.

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

In article <1990Aug24.022209.20087@pegasus.com> richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:
>Well someone just posted a patch for Bnews to enable it to spread
>its articles over a couple of filesystems...
>Has anyone done this for Cnews? ...

C News actually has (somewhat limited) support for this already, if your
system supports symbolic links.  Geoff has occasionally looked at the
idea of copying, to handle systems without symlinks, but I don't believe
he's actually done it yet.  It should not be hard if you are not vastly
concerned about minimizing the number of copies.  Minimization gets
tricky, but you can do dumb copying by just implementing symlink()
as a copy instead.
--
Committees do harm merely by existing. | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                       -Freeman Dyson  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

nigel@modcomp.UUCP (Nigel Gamble) (08/29/90)

In <1990Aug24.022209.20087@pegasus.com> richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:
>Well someone just posted a patch for Bnews to enable it to spread
>its articles over a couple of filesystems.  This is necessary on
>System V because of a 64k inode limit it imposes.

I have just hit this problem running B news 2.11 on System V, but I
seem to have missed the patch.  Would someone be kind enough to mail
it to me?

Thanks very much,
--
Nigel Gamble					uunet!modcomp!nigel