[news.software.b] trn, Configure Questions

wengland@stephsf.stephsf.com (Bill England) (08/18/90)

   1)  The mail system puts 4 ctrl A's at the front and end of each
       mail message.  I looked at mbox.saver and am not certain how to
       modify it.  If someone out there has a working script I would
       appreciate a copy of it:   --Example Mail File-- (Ctl A's simulated)
      ------
^A^A^A^A
From ...

  [Message]
^A^A^A^A
^A^A^A^A
From ...

  [Message]
^A^A^A^A
      ------
    2)  For some reason the backspace key does not move the cursor backwards
        on a command line, although it does erase the buffer.

   Thanks in advance,

 +--------
 |  Bill England
 |  Stephen Software Systems, Inc.,   Tacoma Wa.
 |  wengland@stephsf.com              +1 206 564 2122

  * *      H -> He +24Mev
 * * * ... Oooo, we're having so much fun making itty bitty suns *
  * *

davison@dri.com (Wayne Davison) (08/19/90)

Bill England (wengland@stephsf.stephsf.com) wrote:
>    1)  The mail system puts 4 ctrl A's at the front and end of each
>        mail message.  I looked at mbox.saver and am not certain how to
>        modify it.

Patch #1 for trn (due out in a couple days) will contain modifications
to Configure and mbox.saver.SH to support the building of an mbox.saver
that handles the ^A^A^A^A format (among other changes).

>     2)  For some reason the backspace key does not move the cursor backwards
>         on a command line, although it does erase the buffer.

Check your termcap definition.  If it contains the 'bs' flag trn will use a
backspace (^H) to backup on the command line.  If it doesn't, you need either
a 'bc' or 'le' string definition to tell trn what character backs up on your
terminal.
--
 \  /| / /|\/ /| /(_)     Wayne Davison
(_)/ |/ /\|/ / |/  \      davison@dri.com

flee@dictionopolis.cs.psu.edu (Felix Lee) (08/23/90)

>Check your termcap definition.  If it contains the 'bs' flag trn will
>use a backspace (^H) to backup on the command line.

Note, the "bs" flag and "bc" string are obsolete.  Use the "le" string
instead when writing termcap entries (which is "cub1" in terminfo-ese).
--
Felix Lee	flee@cs.psu.edu

wengland@stephsf.stephsf.com (Bill England) (08/30/90)

In  <F*dy=st1@cs.psu.edu> flee@dictionopolis.cs.psu.edu (Felix Lee) writes:
>>Check your termcap definition.  If it contains the 'bs' flag trn will
>>use a backspace (^H) to backup on the command line.
>
>Note, the "bs" flag and "bc" string are obsolete.  Use the "le" string
>instead when writing termcap entries (which is "cub1" in terminfo-ese).
>--
>Felix Lee	flee@cs.psu.edu

   Well,  this is interesting.  The termcap which is failing is
   the one for xterm.  It contained a bc entry.  Adding a "bs"
   flag or an "le" string entry did not change trn's back spacing
   behavior ( Line buffer is erased but, cursor moves forward.)

   In the old version of rn the backspace works correctly.

   ( There is not a backspace problem on ansi terminals or wy60's. )

 +--------