[news.software.b] Installation woes

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) (08/24/90)

In news.software.b, article <3ND5KOC@xds13.ferranti.com>,
  peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
< In article <1990Aug21.161506.21784@zoo.toronto.edu>, henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
< > Somehow I doubt this; B News didn't exactly hold your hand every step of
< > the way either.
<
< It did a better job than C news. Really. C news is a far superior product
< once you get it installed, but it's a pain to install and there are all
< sorts of administration gotchas. [...]

It starts when you try to compile the sources as Joe User, but install them
under "news". This process is straightforward, _but_ first you take the last
part of doit.bin and tack it in front of doit.news....

< > >Huh? Where is there a UNIX system where "chown $NEWSMASTER $NEWSCTL/active"
< > >won't work? ...
< > Systems where chown is in some strange place, like /etc, that isn't in the
< > default search path.
< Of course, the "build" script does ask where chown is, so you do know the
< strange place when you install the scripts...

Just watch someone install first perl and then C News.

People tend to look at me somewhat incredulously at these times.
Larrys config stuff finds out all about the machine you don't want to know
anyway, and C news asks you. Granted that configure doesn't work everywhere,
but in the majority of standard cases it's great.

But I seem to remember that we had this discussion a few months ago...

--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs@smurf.sub.org -- urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49+721+621127(Voice)/621227(PEP)

In article <5fq0f2.zm6@smurf.sub.org> urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) writes:
>Larrys config stuff finds out all about the machine you don't want to know
>anyway, and C news asks you...

We find it very interesting that we get mail occasionally saying "thank god
you didn't use Configure!".  All that automatic guesswork is not infrequently
wrong, and is *invariably* wrong if you are trying to configure for a machine
other than the one you are running on... which is increasingly common in
these network-oriented days.

You might want to make a list of the things "build" asks you, and figure
out which ones could be guessed automatically.  Not very many.
--
Committees do harm merely by existing. | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                       -Freeman Dyson  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

davecb@yunexus.YorkU.CA (David Collier-Brown) (08/26/90)

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) writes:
| Just watch someone install first perl and then C News.

| People tend to look at me somewhat incredulously at these times.
| Larrys config stuff finds out all about the machine you don't want to know
| anyway, and C news asks you. Granted that configure doesn't work everywhere,
| but in the majority of standard cases it's great.

  Alas, the common case isn't the general case.  **However**, if the common
case is common enough, mabe its worthwhile to add config to the "contributed
software" part of the distribution, assuming circumstances permit.

--dave (of course, it might then become infinitely large...) c-b
--
David Collier-Brown,  | davecb@Nexus.YorkU.CA, ...!yunexus!davecb or
72 Abitibi Ave.,      | {toronto area...}lethe!dave

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (08/26/90)

>>Larrys config stuff finds out all about the machine you don't want to know
>>anyway, and C news asks you...
>
>We find it very interesting that we get mail occasionally saying "thank god
>you didn't use Configure!".  All that automatic guesswork is not infrequently
>wrong, and is *invariably* wrong if you are trying to configure for a machine
>other than the one you are running on... which is increasingly common in
>these network-oriented days.

As with anything, experiences and tastes vary.  The question is how many
people would prefer not to have something like Configure -- I suspect
it is a very small minority.

And the number of people cross-compiling Cnews has got to be miniscule.
Configure handles configuring for a different machine (but with the same
OS and CPU types) quite well.

>You might want to make a list of the things "build" asks you, and figure
>out which ones could be guessed automatically.  Not very many.

At least half.

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

karl@MorningStar.Com (Karl Fox) (08/27/90)

Since cnews now remembers the answers to previous runs of build's
questions, it would be a relatively simple job to create a separate
shell script called something like "build-defaults" that examined the
system and created an initial set of default answers.  Looking in the
C library for strchr, symlink, etc.  and looking for chown and chgrp
are pretty simple, and they don't have to be 100% accurate, since they
are only *defaults*.  Plus, you wouldn't have to run it if you were
politically opposed to Configure.
--
"I hear you guys deal with such dreck  |  Karl Fox, Morning Star Technologies
as SNA and X.25."       -Ed Vielmetti  |  karl@MorningStar.Com

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul A Vixie) (08/27/90)

[Guy Middleton]
>> This is exactly why I don't like Configure.  I have ten different
>> architecture [sic] here, and a canned set of Build-answers for each one.
>> I can maintain everything from a single machine, instead of running
>> Configure ten times every time I need to recompile.

I do this by saving aside the .sh and .h files that "Configure" builds.
Granted, Configure would be a lot better if it supported multiple
architectures -- but then, so would Make.  There have been a lot of
attempted solutions (VPATH comes to mind), none of which solves the
problem as well as handcrafted and handmaintained symlinks do.  Don't
blame Configure for the world's ills.
--
Paul Vixie
DEC Western Research Lab	<vixie@wrl.dec.com>

gamiddle@maytag.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) (08/27/90)

moraes@cs.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) (08/27/90)

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:
>As with anything, experiences and tastes vary.  The question is how many
>people would prefer not to have something like Configure -- I suspect
>it is a very small minority.

The question is whether Henry and Geoff want to use something like
Configure.

Configure assumes you haven't touched your system since it was powered
on.  It's really hard to convince Configure to stop outguessing you.
For example, some of our SysV machines have been convinced to see the
error of some of their ways.  Configure gets really upset on such
machines...

Some of us don't like "build" much either, but at least "build"
doesn't make any explicit assumptions -- it has the courtesy of asking
you what it should do.  That's A Good Thing, even if the affectionate
nickname for this process is "The Interrogation".

Time to move on to the discussion about why Henry and Geoff shouldn't
use imake... :-)

	Mark

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (08/27/90)

In article <90Aug26.184739edt.417@smoke.cs.toronto.edu> moraes@cs.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) writes:
>Configure assumes you haven't touched your system since it was powered
>on.  It's really hard to convince Configure to stop outguessing you.

No it's not - let it finish and edit the .sh files to suit.  Configure
invites you to do it.

If Configure has a logic problem on some architecture, mail the patch to
Larry.
--
Cogito ergo spud.  I think,   O OO   O     Tom Neff
therefore I yam. -- anon       O  OO OO    tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM

In article <1990Aug26.195308.11696@maytag.waterloo.edu> gamiddle@maytag.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) writes:
> This is exactly why I don't like Configure.  I have ten different architecture
> here, and a canned set of Build-answers for each one.  I can maintain
> everything from a single machine, instead of running Configure ten times every
> time I need to recompile.

But you can save your Configure answers, too! Better than Build, even, since
you have to run Build to rebuild those doit files... I tried making a non-
interactive version of build, but it's got too much non-saved state.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`

In article <1990Aug26.085636.19024@pegasus.com> richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:
>>You might want to make a list of the things "build" asks you, and figure
>>out which ones could be guessed automatically.  Not very many.
>
>At least half.

I make it 24 out of 78, even being generous and assuming doing some
automatic experiments which could possibly be dangerous.  And some of
those would require confirmation anyway, and the guessing code would
fail on some machines.

Simply asking a single question for all the str/mem functions -- a change
I am considering -- would cut out fully half of those guessable answers.
--

cudep@warwick.ac.uk (Ian Dickinson) (08/30/90)

In article <1990Aug24.165844.3563@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>We find it very interesting that we get mail occasionally saying "thank god
>you didn't use Configure!".  All that automatic guesswork is not infrequently
>wrong, and is *invariably* wrong if you are trying to configure for a machine
>other than the one you are running on... which is increasingly common in
>these network-oriented days.

All very well and good - but why isn't the actual build
seperated from installation a bit more?

This is the one real nasty thing about building Cnews.
Not everyone likes building software as a (semi)privilidged user (ie. news)
and I'd like to build it as myself, and THEN install as root and news.
This is not as easy as it should be (IMHO).

As far as Configure goes - I've got used to its mistakes,
but it's not that easy for a beginner who doesn't know his machine too well.

Cheers,
--
\/ato.  Ian Dickinson.    GNU's not got BSE.      Cut Cerebus some slack!
vato@cu.warwick.ac.uk          Plinth.

mjr@decuac.DEC.COM (Marcus J. Ranum) (08/31/90)

In article <1990Aug30.164310.8647@warwick.ac.uk>, cudep@warwick.ac.uk (Ian Dickinson) writes:

> Not everyone likes building software as a (semi)privilidged user (ie. news)
> and I'd like to build it as myself, and THEN install as root and news.

	I've taken to doing the configuring and building as myself, and
when I get around to installing it, I'll just chown the whole subdir tree
to news and work from there.

mjr.
--

Eagles may soar, free and proud, but weasles never get sucked into jet engines.

louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (08/31/90)

Not to pick on anyone in particular, but what the $%*&! do you want
for free?

It is certainly easy to suggest that C news be (or the installation
scripts) be modified/"fixed" to do things the "right" way, but those
that "do" decide "how."  Distributing software which attempts to run
on a wide variety of platforms is a difficult task; each of us has
their own idea of what the "best" way is.

louie

P.S. Count your blessings that C news doesn't try to convert unsigned
longs to/from doubles!  My NTP daemon had to be shipped with a
compiler test for that case since the majority of platforms got it
wrong!  It's a cold, hard world out there..