[news.software.b] uucp: PERMISSION

wwm@pmsmam.uucp (Bill Meahan) (09/02/90)

Can anybody tell meh why I occasionally get a PERMISSION DENIED 'fault' on
news batches fed to me?  It's not like I have a basic problem with news
permission permissions (at least that I KNOW of :-) ) since I get a LOT
of batches with no problem.

This does not happen frequently.  Today's occurrence (on 1 batch out of 120
so far **today**) is the first in about three weeks, but it happens just
often enough to make me wonder what I'm missing out on from netland :-)
(probably just the source posting I'm looking for).

Anbody got any ideas.suggestions?

Please POST if possible since I've noticed others have this problem
occasionally.

For the record:
	PMSMAM is an HP 9000/825 under HP-UX 2.1 (SYSV+BSD)
	UUCP is of the HDB variety
	CNEWS is used here (latest patch level) although apparently the
	batch never gets that far.
--
Bill Meahan WA8TZG		|"The freedom of human beings is not a condition
uunet!mailrus!umich!pmsmam!wwm	|but a task. What an absence of shackles means
				|is our duty to know and to establish our own
"I do NOT speak for anyone	|limits. It is often more difficult to be free
but me, myself and I!"		|than not to be free ...."  -Bela Varga

ggw@wolves.uucp (Gregory G. Woodbury) (09/03/90)

In <1990Sep2.004525.18064@pmsmam.uucp> wwm@pmsmam.uucp (Bill Meahan) writes:
>Can anybody tell meh why I occasionally get a PERMISSION DENIED 'fault' on
>news batches fed to me?  It's not like I have a basic problem with news
>permission permissions (at least that I KNOW of :-) ) since I get a LOT
>of batches with no problem.
>
>This does not happen frequently.  Today's occurrence (on 1 batch out of 120
>so far **today**) is the first in about three weeks, but it happens just
>often enough to make me wonder what I'm missing out on from netland :-)
>(probably just the source posting I'm looking for).
>
>Anbody got any ideas.suggestions?
>
>For the record:
>	PMSMAM is an HP 9000/825 under HP-UX 2.1 (SYSV+BSD)
>	UUCP is of the HDB variety
>	CNEWS is used here (latest patch level) although apparently the
>	batch never gets that far.

Hmmm, I occasionally see an error message "PERMISSION DENIED" for my
main newsfeed to send a piece of a batch, and once, I actually was
watching what was going on.

In this one case (and in all cases that I am aware of - based on the
information in HDB/BNU log files) the problem was that a file for the
batch was transferred to my system, but something happened to the "X"
file for the batch and the uucp connection failed in some kind of wierd
state.  On the next uucp cycle (invoked by hand) the feed site sent
along the data file again(!) and my machine refused to overwrite the
previously received data file when it needed to do something with the
TM. file.  This is the case in all the (news) PERMISSION DENIED errors
that I have seen.
(I think it could also occur if your system is trying to receive two
files into the same name.)

It does NOT necessarily mean that you have lost a batch.

I suspect that this will happen more often when the receiving site and
the sending site have different versions of uucp.  (I.e. one is BSD and
the other is HDB/BNU - e.g. wolves is BNU/HDB and mcnc is BSD.)
--
Gregory G. Woodbury @ The Wolves Den UNIX, Durham NC
UUCP: ...dukcds!wolves!ggw   ...mcnc!wolves!ggw           [use the maps!]

In article <1990Sep2.004525.18064@pmsmam.uucp> wwm@pmsmam.uucp (Bill Meahan) writes:
>Can anybody tell meh why I occasionally get a PERMISSION DENIED 'fault' on
>news batches fed to me?  It's not like I have a basic problem with news
>permission permissions (at least that I KNOW of :-) ) since I get a LOT
>of batches with no problem.

The usual cause of this is that you've *already* received that batch.
News and mail get sent in two pieces:  the data file, and the command
file that says what to do with the data file.  If the connection breaks
between the time the data file has been completely sent and the time
the command file has been sent and acknowledged, the other end will
later try again, starting with a repeated attempt to transfer the data
file.  Your machine will reject that because the file is already there,
but will accept the transfer of the command file, and all will be well.
--
TCP/IP: handling tomorrow's loads today| Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
OSI: handling yesterday's loads someday|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) (09/07/90)

In article <1990Sep2.004525.18064@pmsmam.uucp> wwm@pmsmam.uucp (Bill Meahan) writes:
> Can anybody tell meh why I occasionally get a PERMISSION DENIED 'fault' on
> news batches fed to me?  It's not like I have a basic problem with news
> permission permissions (at least that I KNOW of :-) ) since I get a LOT
> of batches with no problem.
>[....]
> Anbody got any ideas.suggestions?
>[....]
> For the record:
> 	PMSMAM is an HP 9000/825 under HP-UX 2.1 (SYSV+BSD)
> 	UUCP is of the HDB variety

I'm not sure if this is the cause of your problem, but it is
definitely something that can cause problems.

Be sure you never run uucico as root.  That means don't run the
uudemon scripts from root's crontab, and don't run Uutry as root.
Create a uucp crontab, and always su to uucp before running Uutry.

There is a subtle bug in many HDB's (i.e. including AT&T's 3.2) where
uucico doesn't correctly manage the setuid()'s if it is run as root.
This usually manifests itself as a file disappearing without notice,
usually from a uuto.  The uucico fails after it has made the
directories in uucppublic, and the only record of the failure is in
one of the log files.  No mail is sent, and in fact if there are
multiple files, subsequent ones will arrive properly (since the
directories already exist).
--
						Greg A. Woods

woods@{eci386,gate,robohack,ontmoh,tmsoft}.UUCP
+1-416-443-1734 [h]  +1-416-595-5425 [w]    VE3-TCP	Toronto, Ontario CANADA