[news.software.b] cnews expire takes forever

root@usaos.UUCP (Warren D. Calhoun) (09/05/90)

Running a test-bed setup of cnews (patches to 25 May 90), expire takes several
hours to run and creates a history.pag file that appears to take up 25 meg.  I
know that due to the holes, this apparent size is not right, but what is the
real scoop on expire run-time and history.pag size.  The system currently has
~5000 articles.

In article <173@usaos.UUCP> root@usaos.UUCP (Warren D. Calhoun) writes:
>Running a test-bed setup of cnews (patches to 25 May 90), expire takes several
>hours to run and creates a history.pag file that appears to take up 25 meg.  I
>know that due to the holes, this apparent size is not right, but what is the
>real scoop on expire run-time and history.pag size.  The system currently has
>~5000 articles.

Something is very badly wrong with your system.  (Have you taken a look
through notebook/problems?)  It is difficult to say more without knowing
details, e.g. are you using dbz or dbm?

On utzoo, a Sun 3/180 with good disks, keeping one month of history (circa
135000 history lines), expire typically takes half an hour or so.  The .pag
file from dbz is circa 6 bytes per history line.

You might also try running the expire regression test:  "make r" in the
expire source directory.
--
TCP/IP: handling tomorrow's loads today| Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
OSI: handling yesterday's loads someday|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (09/06/90)

According to root@usaos.UUCP (Warren D. Calhoun):
>Running a test-bed setup of cnews (patches to 25 May 90), expire takes several
>hours to run and creates a history.pag file that appears to take up 25 meg.

In the maps, usaos is listed as a '386 system running Interactive
Unix.  I had similar problems on my SCO Unix system when I compiled
"dbz" with the optimizer turned on.  Recompiling dbz without "-O" and
relinking expire might do the trick.
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>

calhoun@usaos.UUCP (Warren D. Calhoun) (09/06/90)

*
*Something is very badly wrong with your system.  (Have you taken a look
*through notebook/problems?)  It is difficult to say more without knowing
*details, e.g. are you using dbz or dbm?
*
*On utzoo, a Sun 3/180 with good disks, keeping one month of history (circa
*135000 history lines), expire typically takes half an hour or so.  The .pag
*file from dbz is circa 6 bytes per history line.
*
*You might also try running the expire regression test:  "make r" in the
*expire source directory.

Well, once again, TFM was the answer.  In my defense, the only thing I can
say is that since I don't have *roff, it usually takes me a while to hand-
format and read all of the docs.  When I took this particular advice and
had a look at notebook/problems, there it was, the -O option when compiling
the dbz routines.  Removing it and having cc build everything without it
cured the problem.  history.pag is now 13796 bytes and expire takes about
5 minutes to run.

Needless to say, I will force myself to reformat ALL of the docs and read
them completely before going any farther.  (anybody know of a good PD
{n|t}roff that I can get hold of?)

Signed [sheepishly];
W.D. Calhoun
--
| SSG W.D. Calhoun                  |       UUCP: ...!uunet!usaos!calhoun    |
| Gas Turbine Engine (52F) Branch   |   INTERNET: calhoun%usaos@uunet.uu.net |

In article <175@usaos.UUCP> calhoun@usaos.UUCP (Warren D. Calhoun) writes:
>... (anybody know of a good PD {n|t}roff that I can get hold of?)

A limited solution to this problem, workable enough for the C News docs,
is in the comp.sources.unix queue (and has been for the last couple of
months, sigh...).  If you want it, bug Rich Salz about getting "awf"
out of the queue and into the newsgroup.
--
TCP/IP: handling tomorrow's loads today| Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
OSI: handling yesterday's loads someday|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

moraes@cs.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) (09/07/90)

In news.software.b you write:
>Needless to say, I will force myself to reformat ALL of the docs and read
>them completely before going any farther.  (anybody know of a good PD
>{n|t}roff that I can get hold of?)

Henry made a cryptic mention of awf, written specifically for this
purpose.  Since it hasn't shown up in comp.sources.unix yet, an easier
way to grab it might be to snarf pub/awf.shar.Z by anonymous ftp from
cs.toronto.edu.  Here's awf.README.  Perhaps some kind soul from
osu-cis or uunet will put it there for people without Internet
access.  Alternatively, try the ftp by mail service offered by
bitftp@pucc.princeton.edu (send a message saying "help")

If you have GNU C++ (g++), you may want to grab groff instead and get
it working.  It'll probably run a tad faster.  On the other hand, awf
is smaller.

	Mark.
----------
This is awf, the Amazingly Workable Formatter -- a "nroff -man" or
(subset) "nroff -ms" clone written entirely in (old) awk.

It is slow and has many restrictions, but does a decent job on most
manual pages and simple -ms documents, and isn't subject to AT&T's
brain-damaged licensing that denies many System V users any text
formatter at all.  It is also a text formatter that is simple enough
to be tinkered with, for people who want to experiment.

Type "make r" to run a regression test, formatting the manual page
(awf.1) and comparing it to a preformatted copy (awf.1.out).  Type
"make install" to install it.  Pathnames may need changing.

I don't know whether awf will run on 16-bit machines.  Data requirements
are modest, but I fear the programs are probably big enough to run awk
out of space.

I can't believe I really wrote this.

revell@uunet.UU.NET (James R Revell Jr) (09/07/90)

In article <90Sep6.175510edt.558@smoke.cs.toronto.edu> moraes@cs.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) writes:
>Henry made a cryptic mention of awf, written specifically for this
>purpose.  Since it hasn't shown up in comp.sources.unix yet, an easier
>way to grab it might be to snarf pub/awf.shar.Z by anonymous ftp from
>cs.toronto.edu.  Here's awf.README.  Perhaps some kind soul from
>osu-cis or uunet will put it there for people without Internet access

pub/awf.shar.Z no available via uucp, anon FTP to uunet.uu.net, and
anon uucp on 900-GOT-SRCS
--
James Revell	uunet postmaster	revell@uunet.uu.net	/8^{~

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (09/08/90)

In <90Sep6.175510edt.558@smoke.cs.toronto.edu> moraes@cs.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) writes:
>Henry made a cryptic mention of awf, written specifically for this
>purpose.  Since it hasn't shown up in comp.sources.unix yet...

It just did...
	/r$
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.
Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.

calhoun@usaos.uucp (Warren D. Calhoun) (09/08/90)

In article <2828@litchi.bbn.com> rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) writes:
>In <90Sep6.175510edt.558@smoke.cs.toronto.edu> moraes@cs.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) writes:
>>Henry made a cryptic mention of awf, written specifically for this
>>purpose.  Since it hasn't shown up in comp.sources.unix yet...
>
>It just did...
>	/r$

You bet it did.  Got it last night and put it to work on about 100 man pages
from various places that I've been collecting.  It's slow (as advertised),
but it DOES work and it IS free.  Many thanks for the people who responded.

As a side note, some netters also recommended groff, so I tried that as well.
After getting gas, bison, gcc, g++, libg++, and groff, and only being able to
get gas and bison to compile (gcc doesn't like the Microsoft compiler and
blows off with an out of macro space error), I was quite willing to wait the
extra time for awf to run.  Mind that I would still like to get groff up, but
until I can lick the macro problem in the MS compiler I guess I'll have to
wait.