[news.software.b] Aliasing newsgroups

warlock@ecst.csuchico.edu (John Kennedy) (09/08/90)

  Along with the control messages a while back to create some new groups I
found the following (in the "control" newsgroup):

Please alias comp.unix.wizards to comp.unix.internals.
Please alias comp.unix.microport to comp.unix.sysv286.
Please remove comp.unix.microport locally and alias it to comp.unix.sysv286.
Please alias comp.unix.xenix to comp.unix.xenix.sco.
Please alias comp.unix.i386 to comp.unix.sysv386.
Please remove comp.unix.wizards locally and alias it to comp.unix.internals.
Please remove comp.unix.xenix locally and alias it to comp.unix.xenix.sco.
Please remove comp.unix.i386 locally and alias it to comp.unix.sysv386.

  How do I alias said groups?  It didn't seem to happen auto-magicly (sic)
because comp.unix.wizards and comp.unix.internals are continuing merrily along
their seperate ways.  What do I have to do to "alias" these?

  I'm running the latest version of CNews (minus the most recent patch) and
NNTP 1.5.8 (1.5.10 in some places).

							--- John

In article <1990Sep8.003529.24990@ecst.csuchico.edu> warlock@ecst.csuchico.edu (John Kennedy) writes:
> ... How do I alias said groups? ...
>  I'm running the latest version of CNews ...

C News does not do aliasing, partly because of our religious opposition
to header rewriting.

There is an analogous facility which affects where things are stored on
your machine only:  the "=" feature of the fourth active-file field.
See news(5).
--
TCP/IP: handling tomorrow's loads today| Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
OSI: handling yesterday's loads someday|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry